Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
601 - 620 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It was a beautiful morning to be on the water. As I mentioned earlier....it was tough...at least for me. I threw the full monty at them.....trolling deep and shallow and jigging deep and shallow. I was swapping colors, set-back distances, depths, etc. After farting around for a bit, the pattern seemed to develop and show the ale's and fish were in shallow today. When I was motoring out in the low light, I started picking up a lot of small marks (big ale's?) in 35' to 45' FOW on out to 75 or 80' (in pic). That should have been a clue shallow was the ticket today. Anywho....after the sun came up, the marks were between 40 and 65 FOW. I got the laker in 51 FOW on the bottom with a 4" dodger and tandem spin glows. He must have been yawning and got flossed by the line!😟

I was jigging on top of a grass bed with what looked like fish on it but no takers. You can see the jig going up and down in the pic and I believe a fish did a drive by when I took the pic. I spoke to another boat and they were skunked. I didn't see any ales on top. Surface temp was a round 61 and good water color. Seen a lot of smallies in the shallows. Quite a few boats out after them, especially on the south end of the bay. Maybe next time.....

Sky Water Rectangle Cloud Paint
Water Sky Atmosphere Water resources Afterglow
Water Sky Cloud Lake Fishing rod
Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Blue
Output device Computer Purple Television set Gadget

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
^....I was finding what I believe were some solid cisco marks but nothing in large groups like usual. It would be a crime if no one goes out tonight!

One other thing I noticed today. When I did mark a big pod, It was spread out more vertical than horizontal. I don't know what that means?? Maybe a water temp thing or a column they liked??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys..long time viewer, first time poster. Planning to try E Bay for the first time this weekend. Just bought a place up here so just looking some basic info. If I just want to go catch a fish or two, what’s my best bet—smallies, lakers or cisco? I am going out to start looking around but would like to boat a few as I’m learning. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Hey guys..long time viewer, first time poster. Planning to try E Bay for the first time this weekend. Just bought a place up here so just looking some basic info. If I just want to go catch a fish or two, what’s my best bet—smallies, lakers or cisco? I am going out to start looking around but would like to boat a few as I’m learning. Any info is appreciated.
Smallmouth for sure! Look in that 10-20’ sweet spot with gravel/big rocks or the weedbeds spotted thru out that depth range. I’m a jig head & crawler guy but your favorite smallies technique should be fine. Check the weedbeds right in the channel of the marina & along the break wall early.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Same here, minus the place up there. I have fished Erie and had some luck for Coho on Lake MI out of St Jo and South Haven this spring (I'm a middle school teacher and live just south of Grand Rapids- Byron Center). I have a well outfitted 14' deep V, and a buddy and I are coming up next Thursday-Friday. We'd love to catch a few Cisco (never caught one) or Lakers. I'm following, but any advice would be appreciated. We're mostly just up to have some fun, and hopefully put a few fish on the grill.

Feel free to message me if you have any advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Not a report, but I want to give a shout out. In my travels today I met one of the co-owners of Mission Lures, Ethan. I haven't used his products, yet... but I want to say that he was a very passionate and polite young man and his jigs look great! I've seen his boat on the bay and it was nice putting a face to a boat. I am looking forward to trying out his products and saying "hey" on the water.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
^.....the 2021 GT Bay thread has some great info and pics for folks seeking info. Maybe it's me but so far, the fishing seems a tad off this year. I like starting at first light.....less people and the fish don't have headaches from all the boat and jet ski traffic.

Deep Water Point has some good spots. The fingers north of Yuba too. The charters work the south and SW end of the bay. It will be a matter of watching your fish finder for the drop offs and seeing what's around. After a bit of recon, you will see a pattern of where the fish are that day. You should be able to key in on that. Finding the fish is one thing, getting them to bite is another.

My two cents is related to the boating side of it. Pay attention to the wind direction. That may dictate which boat ramp you want to use. Going out is usually easy, it's the coming back after the wind picks up that can be the tricky part....especially trying to load the boat.

Good luck and post up your pics.

601 - 620 of 633 Posts