Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
581 - 600 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is a discussion.....So what would be your 9 rod set if you were Lake Trout Fishing in GTB or Leland? Only 2 Down riggers. Be specific, right down to what type and name of flasher or Cowbells and fly or lures? Divers? Torpedo? Wire? Copper? Braid? Whats on Boards, What is not?
I'm a little less experienced than most here, but fish it with a lot fewer rods for Lakers. 2 braid dipseys on 2, all the way down digging bottom here and there. Spin n glos behind flashers. 2 riggers sitting 10ft above and 17ft above bottom, running clean spoons. One will be bloody nose or wonderbread. I start at 20ft behind the ball, and start stretching them out till I start getting bit.

Anything more out focused on the drop off in east bay, I am guaranteed to create an awesome tangle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Here is a discussion.....So what would be your 9 rod set if you were Lake Trout Fishing in GTB or Leland? Only 2 Down riggers. Be specific, right down to what type and name of flasher or Cowbells and fly or lures? Divers? Torpedo? Wire? Copper? Braid? Whats on Boards, What is not?

That is a question that can have numerous answers. Here are my 2 pennies on lakers....

1. I run just two rods most of the time on riggers. I'm usually by myself and keep it simple. Beyond that, one of the other fellas will have to chime on trolling with that many rods and variety of gear.

2. In my experience when the lakers are biting....the first crack of light has been very good to me.

3. Any variation/pattern of a 4" green spoon works best. I've had some success with a watermelon pattern too. I use red trebles on my spoons.

4. Most of the time I run spoons clean. Distance from the ball/fish/pancake will vary. I will run one maybe 15' behind my pancake or fish (the weight style I use). The other up to 75' - 120' back to see if the fish are boat shy that day. Whatever one gets the most action, I'll put the second one in the same profile. When the fish are hitting, often times the first strike will happen on the first line as I'm rigging the second line.

5. I have run the 4" - 6" dodger maybe 24" to 36" in front of the spoon and caught some that way.

6. I use braided lines on my rods for all trolling....lakers and salmon. Less stretch and a more solid release from the rigger. Plus braided shouldn't have the memory that mono has if it gets kinked or pulled hard. The only knock I have on braided is the sea fleas/lice tend to adhere to it better than mono....then it is a pain.

7. I use maybe a 3' - 5' Berkley Vanish leader and small, black, ball bearing snaps and snap-swivels. For lakers its 20lb test. Salmon will be 30 or 40lb test. I'll beef up the snap-swivels too. I don't like too much flashy bling in my hardware, that is why I use quality black stuff. Most of it I get in Florida when I snowbirding down there....good selection. Jay's has a good selection if you're nearby them. BPS/Cabelas should too. I'll run away from shiny brass/stainless hardware...especially if it is Chinesium.

8. My GPS speed shows between 2.0 to NMT 2.5. Depth of the bite can vary but I'll start around 100' to 140' FOW and maybe 75' to 100' down on the rigger and see what is working. Most times I can find the correct profile quickly and do good. Then there are a few times I'm whiffing on everything I try and can't catch squat.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
2 riggers: low rigger 5’ close to bottom, 30’ lead to 4/0 Hammerhead cowbells to a chartruese laker taker spninglo. Probe rigger, 13” chartruese Fish-n-chips fish blade, 36” leader to a Moonshine Trolling fly in agent orange.

2 Low wire slide divers- orange or wonderbread magnum spoons 15’ off bottom.

2 High slide divers: 8” spin doctors/24” fly. Get them as close to matching as you can. Change these out if you get a bite on this or some other lure.

2 10color- spoons. I like super slims in GetRDon or Green Jeans.

5 color on a stern planer with a carbon screwball spoon or double orange crush/gold back.

If you get a bite, change up things to match the depth and color and presentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Finally got the boat out for the first time this year, better late than never right. Fished east bay targeting Cisco. I think John said it best in his Frankfort post, must be lose fish Sunday. We started out 0/6, but ended 8/15 in 3 hours of fishing. Brown colors worked best for us this afternoon.
Copper/brown seemed to be best on west bay today also

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was out on West Bay yesterday afternoon. Targeted 40-50 fow. Downriggers set 40 and 35, alternated dipsey and torpedo weight set to run 30 ft down. All produced.

Ended up 9/9 and was able to release all but one back.

All spin-n-glows. Ran some old little Cleo spoons as flashers in front of the spin-n-glows and they seems to really like it. Ran a traditional flasher as well.

Fished mostly off of Lee’s point around the red buoy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We came up and fished the bays for the first time this weekend. Fished Saturday and Sunday morning. Couldn’t figure out the Cisco or lakers, but caught a little king. With lemon garlic and dill over the camp fire it was a great consolation prize!

200 copper with a super slim super bread, west bay 55 fow.
Water Sky Fisherman Outdoor recreation Fishing rod

Food Automotive tire Tire Corn on the cob Cuisine

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
5,031 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
We came up and fished the bays for the first time this weekend. Fished Saturday and Sunday morning. Couldn’t figure out the Cisco or lakers, but caught a little king. With lemon garlic and dill over the camp fire it was a great consolation prize!

200 copper with a super slim super bread, west bay 55 fow. View attachment 838342
View attachment 838343

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
First report on here of a keepable sized King in either bay. Congratulations, you are The Tournament Leader! Made me hungry.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
First report on here of a keepable sized King in either bay. Congratulations, you are The Tournament Leader! Made me hungry.

I've seen a couple this year, all have been about that size posted. I think there's a pod of little guys sitting in the hole in front of the river.

581 - 600 of 633 Posts