Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
561 - 580 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Has anyone tried to rig an alewife like ya do a ballyhoo?

View attachment 837732
View attachment 837731
View attachment 837730
I used to thread them MC but didn’t add the skirt in front. I have a small hollow needle somewhere I used to thread them. Ballyhoo are tougher than ales, almost rubbery, so they hold the hook better. On ales I would bury the hook back in the side on the pic you put up. This gives the ale a bit of a bend so it will spin but they won’t last long before they tear thru. A better rig for me was in the rear end, a wrap around the head or 2, then out the mouth. I use the wrap to put a bend in the fish for spin. If it sounds like a pain it’s because it is! Lol. Once I started useing bait heads I never looked back!
Hand Finger Gesture Toy Thumb
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
John....I too was thinking the ale was tender and would tear easy. The fix I have seen was the fish was wrapped in thread or thin line after hooking to keep it together. I was also thinking if you plan ahead, you could get a tougher fish like a finger mullet and use that for bait.

The lead head idea above seems like a good product to keep the fish vertical and avoid spinning. Some of the ballyhoo pics show a small egg sinker wired to the bottom of the mouth to do just this. I have a bunch of the skirts and squids I use to make my TVC flies. Those come from Florida and that is what they can be used for in the first place. I was curious if an ale could effectively be used behind the skirts/squids and if anyone has already tried it.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
A follow-up. I experimented around with the holes in the BH ramp today. I took some rocks, filled up the wheelbarrow and dumped them in the deepest hole. The water was up...maybe because of the rains...maybe because of the winds....or both. I watched what would happen after they were leveled out. The hydraulics from the wave action was pulling the smaller rocks back out of the hole. It seems bigger rocks will need to be used to counter the wave hydraulics. Also.... will need to talk to the concrete folks to see what is the best underwater concrete. From what I read, concrete "dries" better underwater than it does out of water. That is how they build bridge bases. The negative is it takes a bit to fully dry. If anyone has some ideas....sing out.

Water Fluid Road surface Watercourse Bedrock

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
While I’ve managed plenty building and carpentry projects, my trade and greatest expertise is in concrete. It’s one thing to have concrete displace water in a caisson. That is a far cry from placing concrete in what is basically a surf zone.
I would lean towards 1 x 3 limestone or larger. Limestone is angular and will roll less.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What weight downrigger weights are you guys running? I just upgraded my riggers and bought a fish hawk. The old manuals were 1:1 crank and I think they are 6# weights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a discussion.....So what would be your 9 rod set if you were Lake Trout Fishing in GTB or Leland? Only 2 Down riggers. Be specific, right down to what type and name of flasher or Cowbells and fly or lures? Divers? Torpedo? Wire? Copper? Braid? Whats on Boards, What is not?

561 - 580 of 633 Posts