Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
361 - 380 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Thanks! It's a heavy son of a gun. The guy that milled the cedar did true measurements. The planks are 1"...the 2x4's are real 2" x 4". It will be interesting trying to get it in the air. The last one we did a couple years ago wasn't too bad with the tractor. That one is about 12' up.

Here is that effort using a jib pole. That one has the same foot print but is not as heavy.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tried a little farther south today and was able to connect on my first Laker jigging. I see what the fuss is about they are a hoot on a jig stick.

Got one Cisco I saw chasing my lure down on sonar, reeled back up by it and it crushed it. Cisco was 30' down
104' of water

Water temp was crazy different. 43 in some spots 1/4 mile away 37.

Have to run home now but I'll be back in September maybe give her another whirl

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Tried a little farther south today and was able to connect on my first Laker jigging. I see what the fuss is about they are a hoot on a jig stick.

Got one Cisco I saw chasing my lure down on sonar, reeled back up by it and it crushed it. Cisco was 30' down
104' of water

Hell yes!!! Way to go!!

·
Registered
574 Posts

104' of water

Jigging lakers is definitely a hoot for sure. Me and wife made our first go of it last June and were already talking about going back while driving home. We are heading up Friday morning for our second annual TC trip. Hopefully these warm days get the bite going just in time for us.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Its nice to see a thread where guys are actually happy to boat the "hated" laker. I see that stuff (the haters) and laugh and say "that's fine, leave more for me". On a troll they're not what I'd call sporty but its a damn fine fish to eat. Jigging some up is on my list of cool things to try in TC and vicinity.

Nice job and good report there Layvon! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Next time you have the grill fired up try this:

Need a fish basket if you know what those are. Fillet of Laker cut into 4" widths, skin on is fine, season liberally with Zatterain's Blackened Seasoning, put the grill on high and set the basket on the grill. 6 - 8 mins per side usually does it depending on how big your fish was. I do the skin side first to let the seasoning heat in. Pull it off and serve it with anything. Crowd pleaser for certain. The skins slide right off. Give them to your dog. He'll love you forever, haha. Leftovers (if any) are for fish tacos the next day. I'll put it up against any species except Coho for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The NWMI Fishing Club and The DNR Fishery Technicians sampled the Kings in the Boardman net-pens today and evaluated them at great overall health.

The DNR Technician did note low fat levels that could not be correlated to net-pen conditioning without baseline hatchery fat level measurements.

Fins were not eroded in any way, their eyes and gills were in great condition. If there is a problem in the net pen, those parts (fins, eyes, and gills) usually tend to show the most damage.

K-factor is an overall condition of the fish. 1 is great, 0 is bad. The average k-factor was .92 which is great and means these fish are growing appropriately.

All internal organs were normal - No pale livers, or concerns with either kidneys or spleens.

Fin Clip quality on these fish were great, we only found one fish that didn’t have a proper adipose fin clip.

Its go time! Water temp was 58°. Saturday is release day, estimating 62° ...then the wait begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
Glad you were able to jig up a laker. Yes, they are a ball to catch on a jig. One of my must do fishing trips at least a few times a year. I had a lot of fun jigging lakers in the open water off South Haven until the last few years, not enough there to jig anymore. Now I make the three hour trip to the bay. Not many meals better than boiled lake trout. Hope to be up soon.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Fishing East Bay this morning out of yuba again. I can’t find Cisco to save my life. Went north and made a pass in front of the boat launch out the point right now. One little trout on a seven color with a small scorpion spoon. I haven’t marked any Cisco whatsoever. Strange. Running my big boards way out wide right on that 30 to 50 drop, no Cisco. One rigor down with the probe on it with a flasher spin in glow
Water Cloud Sky Lake Sunset

361 - 380 of 446 Posts