Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vacuum packed 4 packages of herring caught at the end of September 2021. I thawed out and ate a package at 1 month, 2 months and 3 months and the edibility of these herring was excellent! I will open the last one around the first of March this year to see how they taste. Herring I caught around Drummond Island tasted awful if vacuum packed for more than a month! I'll report later on how good/poor my 5 month old package of vacuum packed herring tastes.
I know this is not the kind of fishing report most report here - but it is still useful information on herring taken from east bay for sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been thinking about launching my boat out of Center Road just using hip boots to get in and out. My concern is that the launch could be open when I get there, but blown in when I return. Has anyone found a good way to move drift ice around?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just last week ----well Mrs Cadillac, fixed a batch of Cisco's, it was 6 mo. old, was kinda fishy tastin, but eatable. When in season I like them fixed on the grill, wrapped in foil with butter & lemon pepper seasoning----so I don't know if I will freeze them anymore ??? ----I don't get as many as you guy's do anyway so I will just grill them fresh!!

Oh she <, Mrs,=. Cad. fixed crappies with the cisco's---you know just in case-----OH MY THEY WERE GREAT :cool:

Jeff

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have had strong urges to float the boat, but ramps were plowed in, and shore ice was thick enough to walk on. So haven’t been out in the boat since 14 December. Elmwood was good to go before the snow Friday and Saturday. Not sure right now.

I see Wednesday is predicted at 43°, rain, and high winds. I also see mid-30s from the 20th on out. Whoa Sonnn!!!!

I have topped off the batteries and am ready. Lakers and cisco haven’t seen a lure since October 1st.

Hopefully perch will materialize in either bay this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
With the soaring price of fuel, (heard by summer it may be $4-$4.50 a gallon) I will be fishing closer to home this year. That will be both West and East GT Bays. Does anyone know what a season pass at Elmwood costs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think 4 dollars a gallon will change my thinking too. Those marginal days when the winds are high and the lake is rough I'll probably stay home instead of going and get bounced around.
With the soaring price of fuel, (heard by summer it may be $4-$4.50 a gallon) I will be fishing closer to home this year. That will be both West and East GT Bays. Does anyone know what a season pass at Elmwood costs?

·
Registered
duck, goose, grouse, woodcock, turkey, deer
1,187 Posts
if anyone whining about $4+ gas changing their fishing lives also voted for the guy whose name I forget (because he has forgotten his name too), you deserve what you get.

and I deserve to have you pay my extra $2/gallon because of your voting stupidity!

haha

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have been thinking of getting a bed in the back of the truck, for when the prices skyrocket this summer. Remember we are on the "Winter Blend" right now, and the summer blend will increase the price as well.

Figure something like below, I should be able to replicate. I can use that for trips to Ludington, or my bucket list to Manistee, Frankfort, and not have to pitch a tent, also useable for Erie, Saginaw Bay, etc.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Trunk

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I opened up the last package of vacuum packed East Traverse Bay herring filet's. After 5 months in the freezer, my wife and I both rate them as excellent eating. Fried them up in venison fat, dusted with Drakes and added some old-bay seasoning. I am pleasantly surprised on how well they have kept after 5 months in the freezer. These herring are far better eating than any herring I have frozen from the Drummond Island area.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Fellas.....just checking to see if the annual TVC Bay Fishing thread was up and running. Glad to see it is.

I'm down at the southern command center in Daytona for another couple of months. Bike week started yesterday and the tourists, weekend bikers with new doo rags and faux leathers are here....along with a bunch of gals everywhere in thongs washing the motorcycles for a small fee (for real!). Can't wait till it's over and things get back to normal. Only got to hog hunt twice with no luck. Fishing this ways has been slow as I have been tied up with house chores. Got a few fish here and there but not in any quantity. I should be able to hit it hard soon and stock up on fish for the return trip to the northern command center in TVC.

Weather has been warm. We did get a freeze a few weeks back....down in the upper 20's which is cold for here.

Gas jumped up alot this week...especially the last two days. Already seeing a gas station or two at $4 a gallon. $3.89 is supposed to be a steal if you can find it!

Here's a few things to chew on....cam vids and pics. I'll post up more when I get them....or catch them. Keep the lines tight......

Water Fin Fish Underwater Marine biology
Water Fin Fluid Fish Underwater
Fin Fish Tail Snout Ray-finned fish
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Helmet

Tidal Creek At Ponce Inlet #1

Water Sky Watercraft Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

1 - 20 of 436 Posts