Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Official Frankfort Thread 2022

221751 1679
HRNNNGGGGGGGGG
Scratched my silver fish itch today at the Grand.
I can't wait to be beating the hell out of KANGS!
Can't come any sooner!
41 - 60 of 1680 Posts
What’s goin on with the lighthouse? Ice?
Still signs of winter. Some big piles of ice on the break wall yet. Would have to climb a few ice mountains to get to the end.
My wife and I had some August 17 tonight! No pics, but had it with wild rice and asparagus.
Live from the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I knew you’d be out there!!! Nice one!!
Live from the boat.

I fished yesterday. Wasn’t expecting much. Lost one laker and and unknown fish. Broke in my new motor. At first I Tried for Browns and steelhead but no luck. Switch to lakers and hooked the two.
Water Sky Building Tower House
31,000 Sturgeon River strain Brown Trout successfully planted in The Betsie River today in Frankfort and Thompsonville. That is a total of 111,000 browns total so far in this area (80,000 Wild Rose and 31,000 Sturgeon River strain).

Special Thanks to NWMI Fishing Club members John T, Bernie, and Sean B for the Predator Patrol and the “from the water pictures”.

And thanks again to the DNR for the big healthy fish.

Nice job all!

Thanks Gabe for getting us started this year!

Wow, big news on brown plants! I haven’t been following closely, should be fun in the upcoming seasons.
First Wednesday Nighter of the season.

Reactions: gman and UBDSLO1
Heading up to Honor May 14th weekend. Wondering if I should bring the boat. Not seeing much for reports on here to gage yet.
Same number of brown plants Frankfort has had for years.

Wow, big news on brown plants! I haven’t been following closely, should be fun in the upcoming seasons.
Heading up to Honor May 14th weekend. Wondering if I should bring the boat. Not seeing much for reports on here to gage yet.
I would be bring mine if I could. While they are tough to come by in recent years, as you can see the area does get large amounts of browns stocked annually and this is the best time of year to try and get them.

Work some in the bay and between the piers before hitting the shore lines, and target them specifically. I have missed May the last two years, but when I spend an hour or two looking for them in there previous seasons I usually can find a few Memorial weekend and it should be no different mid may for those fish. Lake trout will be in the skinny water and an occasional steelie too. Browns should be in there too, but it has been a long time since I have taken a brown along the shoreline in Frankfort (have had several in the summer months as a by catch with kings) . If the weather is warm for the next couple of weeks, the first of the kings might show up but more likely still 3-4 weeks out. A couple laps around the pier heads at low light just to check nevers hurts.
Always worth the effort and if the big water doesn't pan out there may be some great bass fishing in local lakes if we get a warm spell.
I’d bring the boat. The extended forecast looks like the winds will mellow out a bit. I’ve made 1 trip to FF and scored a 19.5” brown (and 3 cisco). My buddy got 3 browns in one trip last week. So they are out there.

Brown Trout Benzie County stocking the last 4 years:

~110,000 2019
~98,000 2020
~96,000 2021
~116,000 2022

Reactions: kingfishcam
Yep, nice to get the plants for Laker and **********….
Torch lake gets 30,000 Atlantics tomorrow afternoon around 1230pm. There will be two stocking sites. This is a big water with historic bird problems, so boats will be more valuable than canoes or kayaks.

The first site is The Alden Public Boat ramp off Helena Road/Coy Street on the East side of the lake. Will need a boat there for an hour or so.

The second site is on the West side of the lake in Kewadin, off of Pub Dock Road.

I will call the sheriff's office and notify them we will be using flares and horns and not to send the cavalry.

Let me know if you can do either of these sites.

Thanks

A little Wednesday night fun coming up.

Amazing numbers. My home port, South Haven got about 8,000/yr and we had a pretty good fishery. Had a great fishery with 20,000/yr. Can’t imagine how awesome a fishery 100,000 would establish. You all ought to be absolutely crushing them.
41 - 60 of 1680 Posts