Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,717 Posts
When do most of you start fishing? When Frankfort had great brown fishing, I'd start at ice out. There are a few browns out there, but not enough to make the trip over there for. From my experience, kings will start to show up around late May. One of my best months that I ever had, was early June. I think that year everything was right. The water temp, lite winds, and forage. Hopefully this year we will have favorable winds that keep the fish on our side of the lake!

· Registered
1,717 Posts
I will confess that I did not appreciate the brown fishing that we used to have. Most of the browns that I caught were in the surf, (East and West GT Bays, and Frankfort) but I did love to target them from my grandpa's 16fter flat lining floating Raps, straight and jointed types. Bowers Harbor had a phenomenal spring brown trout fishery!!! I just know what the brown fishery can be like, which in current times is not.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Are there any good spots in TC to check out salmon spoons? Visiting my brother up there tomorrow and hope to find some colors. thanks in advance,
Shooter's in Grawn, and Sportsman's Warehouse.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
I live in TC and take 'the "back roads" as well. Driving West on 31, I make a right turn onto Reynolds Road, (where the Cherryland Gas Station is) all the way down to 608/Cinder Rd. Another right turn onto Cinder, take that all the way down to S. Pioneer Rd. (Chruch is on the corner) and make a left. Homestead Rd all the way to 31 in Benzonia. Cross 31 (you'll see the Wesco Gas Station to your right) and take Traverse Ave./River Rd. all the way to the east side of Frankfort. Turn right onto Lake Street, drive a mile or 2, the left on Main Street where the boat launch is. Easy peasy! Hope this helps some! Look it up on Goggle Maps.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
This happened to a friend of mine a few years back. He had his side windows down, and someone reached in and grabbed the pass. It was that same week, tha rods were being taken out from the boats, while the anglers were cleaning their fish. Time for the City to install security cams.

Somebody snatched my season pass off my rearview mirror. Didn’t lock my doors.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Nice job John! If I can ask, what number do you have your dipsy set at?

Reactions: John Hine

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Awesome, thank you for the reply and info!
I have them set wide on 3, I had the slide divers set on 3 also but They got trashed so I had to switch to dipseys. Running them out 110-140

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Did you guys get your hits on a north or south troll? Or did it not matter? All of ours were on a north troll...going with the waves. I've noticed over the years that my boat always does better when trolling with the waves vs against when it's that rough out.
Same here! Every once in awhile I'll get one trolling against the waves (rough out) and I'm like "Unicorn!" LOL!

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Out here now, near the Point. Trolling back to the Lighthouse. Some small white caps, some chop. 71 surface temp at the pierheads, almost 71 near the Point. 42 degrees down 75ft. I'll report later!

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Tons and tons of boats out there. No excuse though, couldn't get the game plan going. When it's just me and the kid, I only fish 2 rods, as we did tonite. Setting lines and steering with a chop can be challenging, so... Hard to believe that many boats were out in a Tuesday evening!

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Nice John! Boat looks new!

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Well I just about got ran over. Just because you have a big boat doesn't mean you own the water
I installed a small train horn on my boat. They hear me now!

· Registered
1,717 Posts
I guess that the State of MI is doing better than I thought!!! I mean, to give up an 8 billion dollar a year sportfishing revenue... Why even buy a fishing license now...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts