Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
Caught my only and only brown out of Frankfort 3 years ago on April 30th. Covid shut everything down the next year and then last year I was working on the boat and missed the window.

Even though they are a needle in the haystack still plan making a decent amount of trips this year once the rivers get too crowded for my liking.

· Registered
537 Posts
Man that sux! I worry about that happening. My FH probe is new this season. Do you mind saying how it happened? Did the rigger cable just part? I change mine every year JIC and I run the breakaway from FH on the bottom of the probe. This is the reason that the probe rigger never gets within 40' of the bottom and I never let anyone but me set it up. If it goes overboard I don't want anyone else to suffer the blame. haha
Yep. More than willing to share.
Pretty sure the cable is only two years old and I run two big jon captain packs. Probe always goes on the starboard side rigger. Did my normal check at the beginning of the year to look at the first 3 or 4 of cable because I have ticked bottom a couple times for trout but not this year.

Last night my buddy hooked the probe, blacks release and cannonball to the rigger and dropped it onto the water. I had to the reset the fuse on the rigger and as soon as I touched the switch to lower it, the cable popped. Somehow my buddy was able to stop all of it with the downrigger rod before it hit bottom and we got about 20 feet of line back before the release popped and it was all gone.

Not 100% sure how it happened but the cable snapped right at the spool, so I'm guessing it got a kink or nick or possibly jumped the spool. Only thing I know for sure is that is as soon as I touched the switch, the cable popped. And whatever defect the cable had was above where I did my check looking at the termination and last few feet. And I hadn't noticed it on any of my previous trips this year.

Basically the moral of the story is check and recheck your rigger cable as it's going out.

· Registered
537 Posts
Fought the wind last night in my buddies boat. Ended up 6-8 with a Cisco, 4 small kings and 25 lb king. High lines and spoons did the damage with fish coming a 5 color, 7 color and 200 copper. Had drive by on a free slider on a rigger down 55 but that was it for the riggers and divers. Temp was around 60 on top and 45 down 55. Fished 100 fow - 160 fow but really didn't mark that much besides some bait at sunset.

· Registered
537 Posts
Ended 3-4. One decent one and the rest were shakers. 10 color, 7 color and both riggers took hits. All standard or super slim spoons.

With how high the temp break was, I have a feeling it's gonna turn over tomorrow or early Saturday morning.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts