Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I think the best time to start in Frankfort is when the winds are down and the temps are up and the ice is gone and the ramps are accessible and at least one dock is in.

There are always lakers up shallow. A trip to target browns or steelhead is really a laker trip using small spoons and bodybaits in hopes of getting something other than a laker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
40-45k Wild Rose Strain Brown Trout stocked in Frankfort and Glen Arbor today. Perfect day for it. High winds kept the birds away. Big healthy fish, not a single casualty. Nice job DNR! And thanks to NWMI Fishing Club Members Matt, December, Johnny T, and Bernie for Predator Control.

Looking forward to more!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Today completes the 2022 Brown Trout stocking for NWMI. 40k more today totaling 80k browns.

Thank you DNR boys, and NWMI Fishing Club Members Bernie, John, Paul and Matt for the Predator Patrol today.

Next will be rainbow trout in Glen Lake and Crystal Lake and Cohos after them...then Kings in May.

Great fun.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
31,000 Sturgeon River strain Brown Trout successfully planted in The Betsie River today in Frankfort and Thompsonville. That is a total of 111,000 browns total so far in this area (80,000 Wild Rose and 31,000 Sturgeon River strain).

Special Thanks to NWMI Fishing Club members John T, Bernie, and Sean B for the Predator Patrol and the “from the water pictures”.

And thanks again to the DNR for the big healthy fish.

Nice job all!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Heading up to Honor May 14th weekend. Wondering if I should bring the boat. Not seeing much for reports on here to gage yet.
I’d bring the boat. The extended forecast looks like the winds will mellow out a bit. I’ve made 1 trip to FF and scored a 19.5” brown (and 3 cisco). My buddy got 3 browns in one trip last week. So they are out there.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Torch lake gets 30,000 Atlantics tomorrow afternoon around 1230pm. There will be two stocking sites. This is a big water with historic bird problems, so boats will be more valuable than canoes or kayaks.

The first site is The Alden Public Boat ramp off Helena Road/Coy Street on the East side of the lake. Will need a boat there for an hour or so.

The second site is on the West side of the lake in Kewadin, off of Pub Dock Road.

I will call the sheriff's office and notify them we will be using flares and horns and not to send the cavalry.

Let me know if you can do either of these sites.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Fished the small boat tournament in Manistee. Started about 8 miles south of Manistee and fished all the way up to onekama. Saw dead alewives all over the place but out of 25 boats only 1 king was weighed.
That is surprising. Glad you got out there though. I always wanted to fish that small boat tourney.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts