Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
You guys ever have any trouble truck camping in the launch for an overnighter? I typically stay at my cabin down the road but due to some construction that is not possible this week so sleeping in the truck is my only option.
Never had a issue. They did start charging an overnight fee.

could alway post up on the Alberta side and be a shore fisherman for the night.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have not even heard of a fish being caught in the river. Few and far between. I wouldn’t be driving far distance to fish the river.
Have one shot making it over and it’s not till sometime next week. I’ll switch from boat to river if needed.

'

Not all the chinook swimming around in Lake Michigan are as closely related to one-another as they used to be prior the BKD era. This was one of the saviors of the fishery and an ancilllary value of the wild origin chinook component within the total Lake Michigan stock since they spawn at a variety of times, basically spreading out the number of fish on a finite amount of spawning gravel avaialble. IF the forage base could support it, this would eventually translate into a larger total population in the open lake waters. This also keeps genetic variation relatively high within the hatchery spawning program, since some of the wild fish are mixed in the holding pens with hatchery fish in the fall during egg taking. It also likely keeps the open lake population a ittle more disease resistant. The wild origin fish have been slowly building back up since their disastrous spawning runs in 2012-13. On the west coast and Alaska wild chinook were spawning through mid-summer into early fall as various sub-populations came in.. These are generally referred to as demes in population biology. Wild fish live longer and grow slower than hatchery origin chinook per Coded Wire Tag data analysis. Apparently, Purina trout chow gives them a significant leg up in their first six months growth spurt, compared to like aged wild fish.
I figured as much. What is this bkd era you speak of.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just got off the water from the bay as well
0-1
Only got to fish for about 35 mins before coast guard kicked me off the water bc u need a life jacket to go kayaking apparently :(
But plenty of fish jumpin
Had one Jumo like 2 feet from me
They didn’t happen to say anything about fire extinguisher or flares. I’d assume you would want a life jacket, if persons good swimmer and close to shore maybe not.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I’m
If I was a betting man I’d say probably not
Usually they bite better when there’s less people fishing too

Yes they do. Once upon a time, Sunday afternoon storm cleared all guys out and those thinking of going after those lockjaw fish that evening. Storm didn’t hit and had whole bestie lake to ourselves, besides the shore guys.

landed 4 fish before a few boat made it out and sun started shining. Fish shut back down and we heading home early. Was good memory of Frankfort. Few guys on boat landed first salmon ever that trip.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Guess I will have to start checking my fish, I have never noticed the yellow spot on any. Thanks for posting that.
I caught one in Ludington MI last week. Didn’t know that was a Wisconsin mark.

Either true or false, I’ve never seen one before.
Yea i stand corrected. The yellow dots are apparently the mark death, not a tattoo.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Some nice looking fish, considering pics I’ve seen at the homestead damn, some good numbers in the river. Sick in 2 to 4 footers that sucks. MKe em take some pills. We got stuck in 5 and 6 footers with occasional 7 in my 17’ er white knuckle shat but usually do better when bouncing around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts