Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, we are thinking of putting a small trapper style place on our property in the Autrain (SW of Munising) area in the UP. I have found zoning ordinances that call for a minimum of 400sq.ft. for recreational cabin; however, we do not want anything near that size. a 12x12, 12x16, 12x18 single room is what we are after...

Basically a place to store things when we are not there, but stay in when we are there for hunting/snowshoeing etc...

Part of me wants to just put the damn thing up, but I dont' want to get in any trouble by the bureaucracy. The site is far enough off the road on a gated drive. it's not like anyone can see it or even know it's there.. But the question remains. How do I get this done?

My current plan is to hire someone to build the shell in the spring and the do the finishing over the summer in preparation for Oct/Nov/Dec.. to spend time there as we can. I've also thought about moving one of those portable sheds on the property, insulating it and calling it good!

Is this something I can get away with calling a storage shed? There will be no bathroom, no utilities...just rustic basics to keep my Dad and myself warm and dry for deer season!

I'm interested in what I need to know or what anyone can share..

thanks!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
sounds like a great place to build your kids a "playhouse", who can really get mad about a playhouse?
My kids playhouse is a great place for me to store tools when not in use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like a great place to build your kids a "playhouse", who can really get mad about a playhouse?
My kids playhouse is a great place for me to store tools when not in use.
I wonder if a woodstove would be a safety issue for a "playhouse"? I suppose as long as there was a well pump, maybe the kids would be safe? :lol:

·
Registered
35,299 Posts
There is new legislation in the works that will really make the price of new wood stoves jump.

·
Registered
35,299 Posts
Another option may be Hiawatha Log Home from Munising. I think their cottages start at about 400sq ft.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You may want to check with the township to see if you can erect a building without a 400' house. Some townships prevent exactly what you are contemplating doing. Others allow it. Don't have a clue on how things work in the UP, but I'm sure if you call the township they would be able to help.

·
Registered
193 Posts

This is my little storage shed. I'd suggest you get a permit to build a storage shed and when it's done, get the final zoning approval you need for it.

Then you can make it a little more comfortable for working on various projects; for example i have a television, microwave, small refrigerator, and a futon in case i get tired while i'm working. I've been known to catch a nap from time to time.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
If it's out of sight don't worry about it, just build it and call it a storage shed. Maybe get the gabled styled rafters for more head room or loft area.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You'd be surprised at all the things you actually DO need a permit for; therefore do the homework and figure out how to make it work for your situation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts