Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Premium Member
Congrats on finding a motor lostontheice!

snortwheeze - that 25 Merc was more than $1000 but a good deal for the condition.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Always check here first. Never know what he might have and he warranties them for a year. Heck I had a 20hp for like 5 years off him and guy wouldnt take a dime a couple times I had him look at it and tweak a couple things.Good stuff congrats! Thatll scoot you around pretty good.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Thanks, wasn't worried about speed,Ill be fishing the no wake zone mostly.. but wanted enough push to fight that north wind..

Registered
FYI, Linwood Beach has an used Merc 9.9 pro kicker 4 stroke. No handle, so controls needed. Was tagged $995.
Also, some reduced price minnkota bow mount troll motors.

Registered
Thanks, wasn't worried about speed,Ill be fishing the no wake zone mostly.. but wanted enough push to fight that north wind..
You're not gonna need to limit yourself very much with the setup you've put together. Unless the no wake is where you prefer to fish. Heck with a 14', 30hp and a 70# electric ive been on lsc, the dr, the sag river, and Lake huron proper in the last 2 weeks. Erie in december. Thinking about a lake michigan trip...near shore of course....but the dr is about to catch fire....then the scr will get going....so i want some silver but easy eyes close to home sound good too. Just saying.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
You're not gonna need to limit yourself very much with the setup you've put together. Unless the no wake is where you prefer to fish. Heck with a 14', 30hp and a 70# electric ive been on lsc, the dr, the sag river, and Lake huron proper in the last 2 weeks. Erie in december. Thinking about a lake michigan trip...near shore of course....but the dr is about to catch fire....then the scr will get going....so i want some silver but easy eyes close to home sound good too. Just saying.

I'm sure my lil 16 will see frankfort piers and betsie bay this fall.. not sure how a down rigger would fit,maybe divers..

Registered
Call Brian at Vans Sportcenter in Grand Rapids. Don't say that is too far. Just call him. They have many used motors, new motors, a bone yard for parts. I was there on Friday picking up my 2005 Honda 40 4 stroke. The only place I trust.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Premium Member
Little outboards are crazy expensive. You can literally buy a boat with the motor you want for the same price damn near. Lol

Glad you found one. I have been partial to the ol 'Rudes and Johnsons. I have a Fastwin 18hp on mine that pushes my boat better than my cousins 25hp johnson (not sure on year). I was going to buy his before he sold his boat. From my understanding the older motors were rated differently though. The older 'Rudes and Johnson's, like 60's-early 80's, are stupid simple and cheap to fix. I don't really have much experience with newer ones as I have never had to and the prices are insane.

I wouldn't mind finding a 40hp for mine, but I really don't need one. I hope I will just run into one someday. Lol

Premium Member
Yep.. for 600,I couldn't pass it up.. and if my suspicion is correct,it's a timing issue or coil..
Check out This Old Outboard on youtube. Older retired guy fixes up old motors. He has a few videos on timing and little things to look for. He seems like a dude I could drink beer and talk to for hours. Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Well.. the boats almost ready.. still working the motor over (tighten up the wires on the coil that were just barley connected) .. batteries are going in this week and trolling motor is going on.. still trying to get in the s.o.s to get it legal,and get the trailer wired.. biggest task in getting a fish finder and mounting the transducer.. less then 2 weeks to finish it.. just wish I knew what safty gear is required for the river..

21 - 40 of 45 Posts