Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a guess on the odds of finding a 20-35hp long shaft for around 1000 or less???.. just upgraded from a 14ft to a 16ft deep v.. now I need to find a motor..

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Close to zero, unless you can locate a private seller that has one before it is listed.

One of my friends just spent a couple months shopping the lower half of the state looking for a 9.9 to use as a kicker. None available and he said all the dealers estimated about 6 months back order.

He ended up finding a used unit that just got listed somewhere and although the post was only up for a few minutes he was the 3'rd buyer in line. The first 2 guys couldn't produce the cash, so he got it. Then he had to find controls...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Unless old... Not likely.

I sold a 2011 6hp Yamaha 4 stroke for $1350 and a 1974 Johnson 15hp for $750 this year. Both were in good shape.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Finding the engine should be easy. Finding one even used for less than $100/hp is all but impossible unless it is in poor shape and really old or you are extremely lucky and are the first person to become aware of someone just simply looking to get rid of something fast that they don't know what the true value of it is. I'd be less worried of a used one that you may have to work on a little if it is going to be a small lake or river boat but if you plan on hitting the bay and it is your only motor I'd want something very reliable and you are going to pay a lot more for that. Good luck though and I'll keep my eyes and ears open for ya.

Reactions: lostontheice

·
Premium Member
2,036 Posts
Unless old... Not likely.

I sold a 2011 6hp Yamaha 4 stroke for $1350 and a 1974 Johnson 15hp for $750 this year. Both were in good shape.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Hmm, I have a '76 Johnson 25 and a '86 Ever Rude 40 with controls and teleflex.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finding the engine should be easy. Finding one even used for less than $100/hp is all but impossible unless it is in poor shape and really old or you are extremely lucky and are the first person to become aware of someone just simply looking to get rid of something fast that they don't know what the true value of it is. I'd be less worried of a used one that you may have to work on a little if it is going to be a small lake or river boat but if you plan on hitting the bay and it is your only motor I'd want something very reliable and you are going to pay a lot more for that. Good luck though and I'll keep my eyes and ears open for ya.
Thanks smallie... Boats going to be primary a river boat.. saginaw at that.. might try bay shallows but that will depend on what size motor I find.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 25HP Johnson (1993) came stock on my boat. I just upgraded to a new motor for my boat. Lots of repairs to the old motor Chasing issues and a leak. Good compression in both cylinders. New water pump, seal and impeller. New fuel pump. Rebuilt carb. New water head a d head gasket seal. Send me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Anyone have a guess on the odds of finding a 20-35hp long shaft for around 1000 or less???.. just upgraded from a 14ft to a 16ft deep v.. now I need to find a motor..
Tiller or remote helm? How far are you willing to drive ?Detroit area Craigs List showing a 25 hp
and a 28 hp last nite, both remote steer and controls. Evinrudes...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Check Saginaw Marina Mel might have one.
Always check here first. Never know what he might have and he warranties them for a year. Heck I had a 20hp for like 5 years off him and guy wouldnt take a dime a couple times I had him look at it and tweak a couple things.
Motor found and bought.. 25hp johnson
Good stuff congrats! Thatll scoot you around pretty good.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 25HP Johnson (1993) came stock on my boat. I just upgraded to a new motor for my boat. Lots of repairs to the old motor Chasing issues and a leak. Good compression in both cylinders. New water pump, seal and impeller. New fuel pump. Rebuilt carb. New water head a d head gasket seal. Send me a PM if interested.
Thanks again for the motor and good meeting you.. hope your bride enjoyed a good night out..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts