Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We see photos of buster bucks, spikes, forkhorns, etc., but rarely do we see those sets of odd antlers that MS members have taken. Here's the place to display them. Please only post photos of antlers that you or a close friend or family member have harvested rather than those that might be found on the 'net, etc.

The buck below was taken in Mecosta County on the Rheo Vrendenberg farm east of Stanwood and just south of Davis Bridge Rd. It was on Opening Day in about 1969. The morning brought temperatures in the upper 40s with a misty rain. I was sitting at the end of a hay field looking east and at the point where the ever narrowing field was a mere 20 yds. wide.

A deer came across the field at about 100yds. out moving from south to north. Just before entering the brushy woods at the north end of the field the deer stopped broadside to me and looked in my direction. It was only then that I saw its antlers. The deer jumped into the brush and I thought I'd lost a chance at a buck. Less than a minute later the deer came busting out of the treeline and once again headed south across the narrowing hay field. I saw its antlers immediately. This time it was running hard. I brought up my Remington 742 autoloader in .308 pointed and looking through the scope gathered the bounding whitetail into the circle with the crosshairs a couple of feet in front of his chest. Swinging the rifle along I squeezed the trigger and the loud report echoed across the field that lay, moving slightly uphill towards the east, in front of me.

The buck shuddered, broke stride, turned west and came almost straight at me. As he passed my position and just before he entered the woods I squeezed off another shot. Unfortunately the casing from the first round had jammed in the bolt and a second shot was not forthcoming. The deer bounded off into the woods.

A quick look showed a decent blood trail which I took up. Working very slowly and quietly I followed the buck's trail through the low lying woods. Tracks were easy to see in the rain softened earth and blood confirmed that I was on the right trail. As I mentioned above I worked the trail out slowly, almost as if still hunting. It took awhile, but in about 30 minutes I came upon the deer in his first bed. He jumped into the air as I brought up my autoloader and put a finishing round into his neck.

This is the third deer, all bucks, that I had taken in my deer hunting experience which began in Nov. of 1962.

Here's my contribution to "Odd Sets of Antlers That You've Harvested". Let's see some more. By the way, off the plaque the antlers make a great back scratcher.

By the way those of you who have traveled on US131 in that area (south of the Muskegon R.) go right by the place where this deer was taken. I was sitting at the base of a large maple tree which still sits less than 40 yds. from the southbound lane. The deer crossed the hayfield about where the northbound lane is today. Looking farther to the east across that same hayfield you can see Rheo's barn and house.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Whit, I killed one like that back in the early 90's, one side normal the other hanging off the side of his head. He had a club like that too, the skull plate was actually broken. It must have given him brain damage as he let me walk right up to him as he was feeding in a corn field and I shot him at about 10 yards with my bow.

Did this buck act like he wasn't playing with a full deck?

·
Super Moderator
6,912 Posts
hers mine i took just before thanksgiving last year.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I shot this guy in the twilight of a cold November morning in 06. It was just cracking daylight and also foggy, I thought I got a non-typical for sure!! Turned out his skull was broke and I could actually see his brain!!:yikes: He acted totally normal and like it didn't bother him. I had him mounted just like he was.

·
Banned
5,597 Posts
I realize this little guy isn't some sort of freak, but I am curious to know what people think about these 'acorn' tines. I have heard a lot of theories. His left brow has a perfect upside down acorn, and the right had a little one starting. I have seen bigger tines like this on different deer, and was curious was actually causes them? Sorry for pic quality, this was taken with actual film in '05 so I had to take a cell phone pic of a pic.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did this buck act like he wasn't playing with a full deck?
You're asking a guy who some claim isn't, "playing with a full deck" a question like that?........:lol: He seemed normal in every way. I didn't really realize the deformed antler was there until I walked up to him. My eyes were focused on the 4 pts. on his right side. I've since stopped looking at antlers as soon as I make the decision to shoot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I shot a buck in 2005 that had both main beams broke off right after the brow tines. It was the first and only buck that I have shot with a gun. Not a freaky looking one but wierd that both were broken off almost in the same spot.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I cant find a pic right now of it. I have had good luck with bucks VERY symmetrical racks. But I do have one that is a 3x5. The g2 on the right side of the rack was broke off during velvet and where it kept growing there is a big knot there this is the side with three. Then the other side all of the tines are palmated. Then the main beams had to of touched in the front but one of them is broke off

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Matt shot this buck in '07 off our property. We had watched him for 2 years. Have pictures of him in velvet sporting this rack and he looked like a monster.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,145 Posts
took one in Alpena years ago at a camp (racks had to stay there)

I could easily count the 4 pts protruding right from the skull - Imagine your two thumbs pushed together. So I dropped him.

Problem was when tagged and measured he was 2 7/8" one side and 2 3/4" on the other. We stopped at a DNR check station on the way home and I showed him to a DNR officer (figured I might as well fess up :evil:)
He said "Hell, I woulda shot him too. Congrats"

I'm still trying to get that rack, or at least some pics of it from the new owners of the camp.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Took this buck in 98 in Centeral Michigan watched him that summer and it was quite sight when he was in velvet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Back in 2004 I shot a buck that had a nice symmetrical 8 point rack. The ODD part was the size of the nose on this deer. It was more like a moose sized nose. It was in some outdoor magazines and is currently on the wall at the local sporting goods store, GV sporting goods. Don't have any digital pics to show of this deer. DNR looked at it and they figured it had a parasite in its nose and the deer kept growing scar tissue over the area. A very unique looking animal!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
here is my crazy deer taken in Richmond area. Got me on big buck night with Rob Trot. 13 score-able points. After the shot, I was first upset with the way it looked because I could only see the right side when I shot...but now it is my favorite mount! I will probably never will see another like this one..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Back in 2004 I shot a buck that had a nice symmetrical 8 point rack. The ODD part was the size of the nose on this deer. It was more like a moose sized nose. It was in some outdoor magazines and is currently on the wall at the local sporting goods store, GV sporting goods. Don't have any digital pics to show of this deer. DNR looked at it and they figured it had a parasite in its nose and the deer kept growing scar tissue over the area. A very unique looking animal!
Ive seen this mount. the nose is about the size of a softball. pretty crazy!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Shot this one in 07 kinda crazy on the one side where the spike is it was like it had a normal base and got hit or somethin in the velvet and just bent it to the side.

·
Registered
877 Posts
This year, I had a buck following a doe. He was below me at about ten yards and I could see white polished antler nubs on top of head. The antlers were less than an inch above the hair and the diameter of a quarter. Looked to be a year and a half.

I shot the doe. Figure he must have broke his antlers off when in velvet and he polished up what was left.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts