Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
20 years ago, the Ocqueoc was a Chinook river until the DNR tried to kill off the run and convert it to steelhead.
I saw enough steelies to pique my interest but haven't been back for 15 years.
Would appreciate any input on the fall run and might try it again.

o town

·
Registered
495 Posts
The fall September run (Coho) when things are hopping is wall to wall snaggers with the DNR writing tickets. The much later fall steelhead run sees almost no fishermen but with reason as action is very light and not consistent. Of course this year saw ice early preventing late year. Always wanted to fish the ice but too scared of ice over flowing water after going through river ice as a boy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is snagging hereditary? Must be a whole new generation of them out there.
I saw my first steelie on the O. many years ago and spent 30 minutes throwing everything but Grandma's goose down pillow at it. It was a great fall day, I was well down from the falls, had the place to myself and this critter was starting to irk me.
Into this idyllic picture waddles a character weighing 400# or so wearing bib overalls. He had 3 snagged kings trailing him on a rope and was kind enough to ask how I was doing. I stupidly pointed out my half hour steelie and this SOB proceeded to try and snag it right in front of me. I was so dumbfounded I didn't say a word because I knew if I started I'd have strangled him if I could have gotten my hands around his throat.
After he gave up and went upriver, I sat down, cooled off and ate a sandwich. Mr. steelie was back. With nothing to lose, I tied on a #10 Royal Wulff, juiced it up and he happily accepted it on the first drift. One jump and about 10 seconds later, he was off. Grins anyway.
That was the last time I went there. Maybe I'll try again this fall.

o town

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for that letter brings back lots of memories,does tippy damm come to mind :bash: :lol: .well i have'nt got anything at the river that we are talking about ,but i dont think they have been in there real good yet.im thinking after this rain they have to be starting to group in there i will ttry it tomarrow and let you now how it went :shhh: .hopefully my guess is right :fish: . well again thank you for the letter it gave me a good picture of what i would have did :bash: .bye for now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Anybody have any updates on steelies yet?
Also, since I've probably made my last spring trip up, I'll divulge one of my morel patch locations on the O. It's probably been overrun by now, but 15 years ago, it produced gobs of big yellows.

o town

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
otown said:
I'll divulge one of my morel patch locations on the O. It's probably been overrun by now, but 15 years ago, it produced gobs of big yellows.
o town
I didn't think they had morels in Orlando! :evilsmile

Good to hear from you once in a while OTOWN!

·
Registered
390 Posts
No, really unfortunately, we have no morels.
I was talking about a spot on the Ocqueoc that I will probably never see in the spring again. It's up for grabs. Would hate to see it go to anyone outside the forums.

o town

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I knew what ya meant! ;)

Still good to hear from ya.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You caught me at a bad moment when I took things too seriously.
I do that about once a month for 15 minutes or so.
Surprised I haven't been overwhelmed with requests for the GPS #'s on the morels. Maybe this isn't as big a thread as the Dove Bill vote.
Sure wish I was up there now. You guys enjoy the crap out of it and I'll be with you all in spirit.

o town

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am here. I have not fished the O river this spring yet but I hear they are in there good this year. Lots of succers now so I will wait a bit. I know what you mean about the snaggers. It hits ya in the gut to see those big steelies snaged and roped. I am ready to go check out this morel spot and inform you on a great spot for fall shrooms on the river bank as well . Email me please at [email protected]
I will try to figure out the gps #'s for the fall shrooms if you need that to. Keep Fishing it works wonders for the soul.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts