Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last 2 years i have used oats mixed with wheat and rye and the deer won't touch them and grow 18" tall. The first year i added oats the deer used them heavily. I just bought bin run oats. Am i getting a wide leafed stemmmy variety i didn't get the first time. I think next i mow the oats off. Deer don't like to put their heads down in there.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I also think too early. I dont or wouldnt plant wheat,oats, or rye anytime before sept 10. They will get too tall and stemy and the deer wont touch them. The problem sometimes planting them that early isnt that the deer wont eat it, its just that they might be feeding on beans and other more preferable foods before they dry down. Deer seem to switch to brassicas and grains heavily after the middle of september. At least they do on our property

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,419 Posts
I think next i mow the oats off. Deer don't like to put their heads down in there.
I dont or wouldnt plant wheat,oats, or rye anytime before sept 10. They will get too tall and stemy and the deer wont touch them. The problem sometimes planting them that early isnt that the deer wont eat it
I would advocate for you food plotting to be dictated by what the deer do each year. The deer tell you the story. If something doesn't work, adapt and change.

I personally prefer long stemmy unpalatable grains planted in the second week of August in a heavy browsed area. I pray that it pokes them in the eye so they leave the admixed brassicas like GFR and forage turnips alone until later in November and December (when it is the only good food source).

It is a myth that deer won't eat stemmy grains in the fall in the right context. I "seen" it with my own eyes sitting in a pop-up blind 5 yards away. Deer munching away with gusto at 16 inch oats and rye. Of course these were on fertile soil, and well fertilized grains and some hungry deer.

Watch what your deer do and then adapt. And don't listen to what other's say exclusively. Write your own prescription.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I would advocate for you food plotting to be dictated by what the deer do each year. The deer tell you the story. If something doesn't work, adapt and change.

I personally prefer long stemmy unpalatable grains planted in the second week of August in a heavy browsed area. I pray that it pokes them in the eye so they leave the admixed brassicas like GFR and forage turnips alone until later in November and December (when it is the only good food source).

It is a myth that deer won't eat stemmy grains in the fall in the right context. I "seen" it with my own eyes sitting in a pop-up blind 5 yards away. Deer munching away with gusto at 16 inch oats and rye. Of course these were on fertile soil, and well fertilized grains and some hungry deer.

Watch what your deer do and then adapt. And don't listen to what other's say exclusively. Write your own prescription.
Word.

Because I listen to my deer, I never plant my grains until Labor Day weekend, at the earliest.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think i will skip the oats in the future. Rye and wheat are only 5-6" tall and will soon rapidly grow backwards.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The oats came down today. Some were almost as tall as the front tires. Seeding a couple bushel of rye to replace them. Might not grow but we will see.

·
Registered
19,174 Posts
From my experience, the deer would have started eating your oats in early Nov. after a few hard frosts and would have them mostly gone by Christmas and totally gone by spring. Bin run oats also. Sounds like your deer did not eat them last year and you would think they would have during that cold Feb. weather if the oats were not covered by snow.

L & O

·
Administrator
35,858 Posts
I am having the same problem with my oats this year. They are knee high in spots. They won't touch them. I did mix some rye in with them. Hopefully some hard frost will get them started.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Here is what I planted this year on my 1/2 acre food plot, which was planted August 23.
15 lbs Austrian Winter Peas
15 lbs Winter Oats
10 lbs Rye
3 lbs of Radishes

Last year I just planted the radishes and did not get much action, but the deer seem to like this.

These pics were taken today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,021 Posts
I usually plant wheat and rye on Labor Day weekend. A couple years ago I put in some sugar beet seed along one of the plots to see what would happen. The deer walked across the rye and wheat to get to the beet tops and mowed they off to the ground. When they got those gone they went after the rye and wheat. I set a camera up on the beets and the deer were in them alll times of the day

·
Premium Member
16,499 Posts
I was out hunting over a plot yesterday evening. I planted oats early this year and they are all headed out now. the deer were eating the oat heads pretty regular from i could see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts