Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Would anyone happen to know of any good trapping spots in Leelanau, Grand Traverse or Antrim counties. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
The only way to really find out is to get out there and try some spots that look (crabby) good.Look for places with alot of bottom structure like large rocks and such.And some people have better luck than others.The same spot can produce big numbers of crayfish for one guy but not the other guy.It may be technique or just dumb luck,who really knows.I seem to have better luck with my flat bottom traps.Some people have better luck with the round cone style traps.I hope this helps you out some.Just remember the most important part,Have fun doing it.;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only way to really find out is to get out there and try some spots that look (crabby) good.Look for places with alot of bottom structure like large rocks and such.And some people have better luck than others.The same spot can produce big numbers of crayfish for one guy but not the other guy.It may be technique or just dumb luck,who really knows.I seem to have better luck with my flat bottom traps.Some people have better luck with the round cone style traps.I hope this helps you out some.Just remember the most important part,Have fun doing it.;)
I have been trapping for 2 years now and am definitely having fun. I have one lake that i trap in the TC area where i catch a fair amount. I was just looking to find some new spots. I have tried East Grand Traverse bay with no luck. I use the round cone style traps, maybe i will have to try the flat bottom traps.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Try trapping in rivers.Right bellow dams are really good spots.Lots of oxigenated water and lots of food for them washing over the top.If you try river trapping make sure that the openings on the trap are facing with the current.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Hit Elk Rapids dam.. use to get alot of them while salmon fishing there.. might be to rocky for traps , but the stick and string method should work good there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts