Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 6, 2007

Governor Granholm Makes Appointment, Reappointment to Natural Resources Commission

LANSING – Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today announced the following appointment and reappointment to the Natural Resources Comission:

James R. Richardson of Ontonagon, operations manager for Smurfit-Stone Container Enterprises. Mr. Richardson is appointed to represent Republicans for a term expiring December 31, 2010. He succeeds Robert J. Garner whose term has expired.

John M. Madigan of Munising, owner of Mazzali Insurance Agency and Munising Hardware Company. Mr. Madigan is reappointed to represent Republicans for a term expiring December 31, 2010.

Governor Granholm’s appointments make it the first time in 40 years that two residents from the Upper Peninsula will serve on the Natural Resources Commission at the same time.

The Natural Resources Commission establishes general policies for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and hires the director of the department. The commission is also vested with the exclusive authority to regulate the taking of game in Michigan.

This appointment and reappointment are subject to Article V, Section 6 of the Michigan State Constitution of 1963. They stand confirmed unless disapproved by the Senate within 60 days.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Email to HR:

It’s only natural that the company that James (J.R.) Richardson works for would provide support to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to plant fish in streams and lakes in the western Upper Peninsula.

Richardson, operations manager for Smurfit-Stone Container Enterprises’ Ontonagon Mill, is a charter member of the Ontonagon County Sportsman’s Alliance and the president of the Upper Peninsula Sports Fisherman’s Association. He values the natural resources in the western UP, and his fellow employees at Smurfit-Stone share that appreciation.

“We had an honest and true concern to develop the natural resources in our county,” Richardson said.

Smurfit-Stone, which produces corrugating medium, maintains a community recycling program that gives its profits to local school programs.

The company also hosts a Citizen’s Advisory Panel that meets regularly to provide feedback regarding mill operations, and the company donated plant-generated materials to assist in the re-vegetation of 5,500 acres at a blighted former mine site.

Smurfit-Stone’s environmental programs have become the benchmark for other facilities in the pulp and paper industry and have recently earned the company the Clean Corporate Citizen Longevity Award from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Bob never wanted to be on the NRC forever. NRC requires travel every month and a lot of dedicated time. Bob wants more time for hunting & fishing.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NRC appoints two members from U.P.
First time in 40 years

ONTONAGON — It’s been 40 years since it last happened, but two people from the Upper Peninsula will once again be serving on the Natural Resources Commission.

Munising businessman John Madigan was reappointed and James Richardson, operations manager for Smurfit-Stone Container Enterprises in Ontonagon, was appointed by Gov. Jennifer Granholm to the NRC, which is the policy-making body for the Department of Natural Resources.

Both will serve a term which will expire Dec. 31, 2010.

http://www.mininggazette.com/stories/articles.asp?articleID=6498

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richardson appointed to NRC

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/statewide/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1176846002313390.xml&coll=1

04/21/07 Bob Gwizdz (517) 487-8888 ext. 237 [email protected]

James R. Richardson, a 48-year-old engineer from Ontonagon, has been appointed to the Natural Resources Commission by Gov. Jennifer Granholm to replace Bob Garner, who had asked not to be re-appointed.

Richardson is a lifelong outdoorsman who works at Smurfit Stone, Inc., which makes corrugated cardboard.

"I'm thrilled to death, to be honest with you," Richardson said. "I've worked with the MDNR (Michigan Department of Natural Resources) for years on anything from brook trout planting to salmon planting to sturgeon planting. To be on the commission and be able to go further with that is something I've looked forward to for a long time."

Richardson, who goes by "J. R.," is a 1976 graduate of Ontonagon High School. He received a degree in chemical engineering at Michigan Tech. After a stint in graduate school, Richardson has worked in a number of positions at the mill. Currently, he is a technical manager, overseeing quality and environmental engineering.

Richardson, who has backpacked in the Porcupine Mountains every year over Mother's Day for 30 years, says his father was born on the Brule River, where he spent a lot of time canoeing as a youth. He hunts grouse and deer and keeps a boat on Lake Superior, where he fishes for lake trout and walleye, he said.

"We spend a lot of time out of doors up here," he said.

Ironically, Richardson, who was scheduled to attend the April 12 NRC meeting in Lansing, was unable to get there.

"I got snowed in twice, first in Marquette, then in Traverse City," he said. "It won't happen again. Next time I'll drive."

Richardson said he brings no preconceived notions to his new position.

"I'm waiting to be prepped and find out what the issues are," he said. "I'm looking forward to helping the state anyway I can."

Richardson is the second Upper Peninsula resident serving on the NRC. John Madigan of Munising, who chairs the NRC's Wildlife and Fisheries committee, was recently re-appointed by the governor for another three years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts