Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

NRA Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

4K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  kappa8 
#1 ·
https://www.npr.org/2021/01/15/957460722/nra-files-for-bankruptcy-amid-fraud-prosecution-in-new-york

There was once a time when I admired the NRA; thought of them as true defenders of our 2A rights. Unfortunately they have been largely absent from the national gun conversation in recent years at a time when we need them most. Sad to see this happen, and not sure what it means for the future of the organization.

I know there are a few other Pro-2A orgs worth joining, but who will you be sending your money to lobby for 2A rights from here on out?

#2 ·
I don't know who the alternative is. But I know then NRA has had issues for a while now. More so their 'ILA' arm. I'm open to ideas.

#6 ·
Not saying greed doesnt happen. Not saying wayne isnt greedy because i know nothing about the man or what he has done. This entire thing has happemed because new york has been attacking and suing the NRA driving them our of their state. It makes perfect sense for them to move to texas.

If you read the articles the attorney general caught them on a technicality over conceal carry insurance they were offering to their members. New york has been attacking them and openly trying to dissolve the organization. Lots of articles about the attorney general saying so. Makes sense to close up shop and move it to texas.

#9 ·
They rely on donations for their entire Income/Cashflow. They just declared BK. Does that indicate that people's opinions about gun ownership is changing, and they aren't donating as much? Or was it just malfeasance that caused this? Either way, why would I send them anymore money? Right now, when I say, "NRA," it just comes as a big sucking sound. :nono:

#10 ·
It may came about that members seen the true intent, to make money and fringe benefits. I stopped when instead of defending the 2nd Amendment they purchased 33,000 acres in New Mexico.

https://www.ratonnm.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/NRA-Whittington-Center-7

With the internet many articles showing where the money has been going or was earmarked. So how much of your hard earned money going into someone's pocket, salary, fringe benefits rather than fighting for your 2nd Amendment?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...9-b3b4-2bb69e8c4e39_story.html?outputType=amp

I think it is similar to scams of protecting animals by certain organizations. The only difference it is based on gun owners fears and those are the ones targeted. Instead more should be placed on who we vote in the House, Senate and President or simply our government. All the money in the world will not sway the government vote or sway of the people.

#15 ·
It may came about that members seen the true intent, to make money and fringe benefits. I stopped when instead of defending the 2nd Amendment they purchased 33,000 acres in New Mexico.

https://www.ratonnm.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/NRA-Whittington-Center-7
Considering the NRA still promotes marksmanship hunting, firearm training and safety buying a large gun range make so sense

https://www.nrawc.org/

The NRA also provides money to local gun clubs and ranges. There is more to defending the 2nd Amendment than just being in Washington and greasing palms

#12 ·
NASCAR evolved from guys running liquor in hot rods. The dirt track racers down south know this very well.

Never say never. If the government shuts down bars and booze sales, the stills and the old "distribution" systems will return I'll bet. Just a hunch...

#14 ·
I was a member for years and nearly became a life member. I used to really enjoy the American Rifleman magazine, but when it became more political attack than about, well, American rifles I switched to American Hunter. That eventually morphed into more political stuff and more “AR-15 Hunter” as they pushed those types of rifles as “the answer”for nearly all things shooting and hunting. I’ve been interested in rifles and shooting since a little tyke in the 1950s, but as one who cut his teeth on the writings of Jack O’Connor I wasn’t into what they were promoting. Maybe I’m too old.

I believe in the 2nd amendment, have a lotta mostly long guns but I finally got fed up with Wayne LaPierre and where he took the NRA so I quit. I figure the NRA will soldier on but hope LaPierre gets the comeuppance he so well deserves.

#18 ·
The club I was on the board of had neighbors complain.
Obviously you buy a home near a gun range you could expect to hear shooting....But guess what? And no , those folks didn't lobby for suppressors either.
A grandfathered in range still faces complaints. Big surprise? Nope.
Anyone want to start a range? There will be interesting challenges. Starting with finding a site where zoning allows it.

Whittington center allows member participation.
It's existence was insuring a place to shoot over four decades ago when gun rights were front burner issues. Seems simple to not worry about a place to shoot. The N.R.A. did not agree.
1973 vote saw 56-6 with the majority in favor of acquiring the Raton property.
That is more votes than Wayne and a couple buddies.

It remains an asset. And a tangible one at that.
Has any upstanding member been denied access? (Barring Covid concerns downtime.)

#25 ·
Digging in takes time.
The N.R.A. is not a shingle with a few people under it calling the shots on how money is spent by whim.

One of the few diggings I do anymore is nominees at election time.
Yes , most of it is N.R.A. published data provided. But there is the internet for further research.
Elected folks spending money and making decisions with who's interest at heart?
I am not a nominee. Nor seeking such.
But I have considered (having been on a gun club board in the past that is certainly not done for glory or bragging rights or ganking people out of dues) what I would have to offer in comparison to many of the nominees.
I guess till you/anyone looks such folks over it's easy to say they are on the take. That theory goes out the window pretty quick when you consider thier time and why they'd spend it chasing dues to embezzle. Or maybe they're just foolin me during thier term...
So far , so good.

I took a life membership when they were highly discounted. A no brainer.
That fart in a tornado check might have done great things. It may have evaporated in a week too. But I don't lose sleep over where it ended up.
I've seen enough N.R.A. contribution through affiliation and material at more than one club.
That's local. And the contribution to firearm training has affected me directly as well.
After "we" went from a total nanny state to a nanny state , it has been the N.R.A. material that has been fundamental in jumping through hoops. I won't kick them in the shins over that. What other proposed compliance in training material was there for the state to choose from? I know which one happened anyways.

Reactions: bowhunter426
#30 ·
well miruss I'm sure that there are plenty of members at our gun club that are members of the NRA and we are grateful for their grants. I just decided not to renew my member anymore I still support their banquets that we hold every year at our club and spend way more money at those then I would a membership for the NRA. It's no wonder why this country is in the shape it's in because guys of like you because you don't know when to stfu just another keyboard cowboy.

#31 ·
Always intriguing how many posts/pages before original post topics becomes toxic.

NRA has been incredibly important to 2A and gun owners for decades. NRA defined and became the gold standard for firearm education (ownership, hunter safety, instructors), certification, advocacy at national level, funding at local level, etc. TNRA's list of their GREAT accomplishments is phenomenal.

Their mission hasn't changed, but current administration has lost focus on the goal & mission, and the NRA's current financial problems are self-inflicted (yes, New York contributed, but that's not the root cause for Chapter 11 filing). Where there's smoke, there's fire. Ollie North was run out for asking inconvenient questions, and Wayne's holding the match.

I've been an NRA member over 20 years, and enthusiastically so. But until NRA cleans house (and by that, I mean broom Wayne, which is only possible by member vote), my money will go to GOA and MCRGO. Truly a sad day for patriotic and passionate gun owners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.