Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.npr.org/2021/01/15/957460722/nra-files-for-bankruptcy-amid-fraud-prosecution-in-new-york

There was once a time when I admired the NRA; thought of them as true defenders of our 2A rights. Unfortunately they have been largely absent from the national gun conversation in recent years at a time when we need them most. Sad to see this happen, and not sure what it means for the future of the organization.

I know there are a few other Pro-2A orgs worth joining, but who will you be sending your money to lobby for 2A rights from here on out?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't know who the alternative is. But I know then NRA has had issues for a while now. More so their 'ILA' arm. I'm open to ideas.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I read an article that said they are doing this to relocate from New York to a friendlier state of Texas. Who can blame them?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Happens to many non profit organizations the people running them get greedy .
Not saying greed doesnt happen. Not saying wayne isnt greedy because i know nothing about the man or what he has done. This entire thing has happemed because new york has been attacking and suing the NRA driving them our of their state. It makes perfect sense for them to move to texas.

If you read the articles the attorney general caught them on a technicality over conceal carry insurance they were offering to their members. New york has been attacking them and openly trying to dissolve the organization. Lots of articles about the attorney general saying so. Makes sense to close up shop and move it to texas.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not saying greed doesnt happen. Not saying wayne isnt greedy because i know nothing about the man or what he has done. This entire thing has happemed because new york has been attacking and suing the NRA driving them our of their state. It makes perfect sense for them to move to texas.

If you read the articles the attorney general caught them on a technicality over conceal carry insurance they were offering to their members. New york has been attacking them and openly trying to dissolve the organization. Lots of articles about the attorney general saying so. Makes sense to close up shop and move it to texas.
That's probably why they are leaving New York.

They are filing bankruptcy IMO for the same reason Wayne ousted Oli North for becoming a problem. He was asking too many financial questions. Wayne didn't like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
13,474 Posts
They rely on donations for their entire Income/Cashflow. They just declared BK. Does that indicate that people's opinions about gun ownership is changing, and they aren't donating as much? Or was it just malfeasance that caused this? Either way, why would I send them anymore money? Right now, when I say, "NRA," it just comes as a big sucking sound. :nono:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It may came about that members seen the true intent, to make money and fringe benefits. I stopped when instead of defending the 2nd Amendment they purchased 33,000 acres in New Mexico.

https://www.ratonnm.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/NRA-Whittington-Center-7

With the internet many articles showing where the money has been going or was earmarked. So how much of your hard earned money going into someone's pocket, salary, fringe benefits rather than fighting for your 2nd Amendment?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...9-b3b4-2bb69e8c4e39_story.html?outputType=amp

I think it is similar to scams of protecting animals by certain organizations. The only difference it is based on gun owners fears and those are the ones targeted. Instead more should be placed on who we vote in the House, Senate and President or simply our government. All the money in the world will not sway the government vote or sway of the people.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Calm down nobody is going to ban hotrods.
NASCAR evolved from guys running liquor in hot rods. The dirt track racers down south know this very well.

Never say never. If the government shuts down bars and booze sales, the stills and the old "distribution" systems will return I'll bet. Just a hunch...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I was a member for years and nearly became a life member. I used to really enjoy the American Rifleman magazine, but when it became more political attack than about, well, American rifles I switched to American Hunter. That eventually morphed into more political stuff and more “AR-15 Hunter” as they pushed those types of rifles as “the answer”for nearly all things shooting and hunting. I’ve been interested in rifles and shooting since a little tyke in the 1950s, but as one who cut his teeth on the writings of Jack O’Connor I wasn’t into what they were promoting. Maybe I’m too old.

I believe in the 2nd amendment, have a lotta mostly long guns but I finally got fed up with Wayne LaPierre and where he took the NRA so I quit. I figure the NRA will soldier on but hope LaPierre gets the comeuppance he so well deserves.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
It may came about that members seen the true intent, to make money and fringe benefits. I stopped when instead of defending the 2nd Amendment they purchased 33,000 acres in New Mexico.

https://www.ratonnm.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/NRA-Whittington-Center-7
Considering the NRA still promotes marksmanship hunting, firearm training and safety buying a large gun range make so sense

https://www.nrawc.org/

The NRA also provides money to local gun clubs and ranges. There is more to defending the 2nd Amendment than just being in Washington and greasing palms

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Considering the NRA still promotes marksmanship hunting, firearm training and safety buying a large gun range make so sense

The NRA also provides money to local gun clubs and ranges. There is more to defending the 2nd Amendment than just being in Washington and greasing palms
Unfortunately at least in perception the later goals of the nra eclipsed the former.

Reactions: bowhunter426

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Yes like fringe benefits having 33000 of private hunting property. Also paid for by those giving monies supposedly to protect the 2nd Amendment. Most people would consider that fraudulent.

Also the labor to keep the Whittington center running taxes etc our funded by individuals supposedly wanting their money to protect the 2nd Amendment. Not paying those cutting the grass on land the non profit corporation owns.

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
The club I was on the board of had neighbors complain.
Obviously you buy a home near a gun range you could expect to hear shooting....But guess what? And no , those folks didn't lobby for suppressors either.
A grandfathered in range still faces complaints. Big surprise? Nope.
Anyone want to start a range? There will be interesting challenges. Starting with finding a site where zoning allows it.

Whittington center allows member participation.
It's existence was insuring a place to shoot over four decades ago when gun rights were front burner issues. Seems simple to not worry about a place to shoot. The N.R.A. did not agree.
1973 vote saw 56-6 with the majority in favor of acquiring the Raton property.
That is more votes than Wayne and a couple buddies.

It remains an asset. And a tangible one at that.
Has any upstanding member been denied access? (Barring Covid concerns downtime.)

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Yes like fringe benefits having 33000 of private hunting property. Also paid for by those giving monies supposedly to protect the 2nd Amendment. Most people would consider that fraudulent.

Also the labor to keep the Whittington center running taxes etc our funded by individuals supposedly wanting their money to protect the 2nd Amendment. Not paying those cutting the grass on land the non profit corporation owns.
It is open to the Public. Anyone can hunt there or stay there in the hotel or camp ground and use the gun ranges. It is a perfect example of what the NRA is doing to promote shooting sports in the US.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It is open to the Public. Anyone can hunt there or stay there in the hotel or camp ground and use the gun ranges. It is a perfect example of what the NRA is doing to promote shooting sports in the US.
You do not get it. State and private companies offer shooting ranges. The point is the money they use to purchase the property and to construct the site along with maintenance is monies that was given to fight and maintain the 2nd Amendment. It was not given to compete with private individuals and companies who want to have a range etc...

Next time you think about the money you paid for a life membership just think about the grounds keepers and custodians you supported rather than funding lobbyists to protect the 2nd Amendment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts