Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
17,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was up in Alpena to hunt this past Wednesday afternoon through this morning (November 1st). Wednesday afternoon and Thursday I had the same SMALL 1.5 year old doe from early October pass within 20 yards, but she was too small to shoot. Saturday afternoon I had 3 doe (one was a horse) and a fawn pass at 40 yards right at last light, but 40 yards in great light is to far for me to shoot anyway.
This mornining while in my tree I was really feeling dejected and had myself convinced that this was going to be a deerless year for me because the sightings have been way down. I was going to hunt until 9:00 am (10:00 DLST), and call it a weekend. At 8:30 the morning's coffee had to go. I let it rip from 20 feet, and followed it up with a couple doe bleats.... NOTHING! AT 8:50, I let out two really loud, desparate sounding bleats. At 8:55 a doe and a button buck come trotting toward me from the West. Hesitantly, I decided to take her if she were to continue on the trail and cross in front of me at 20 yards. She did... and I did. She honestly was my first shot opportunity of the year besides that one small 1.5 year old doe.

<----<<<

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Congrats Joe. What's the word for the area in general? Is it pretty much the same all over as far as sightings go?

·
Administrator
17,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I dropped off the deer at the processor he said that he was way down from last year. He has only taken in 30 deer so far for this season.
<----<<<

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Congrats Joe. What's the word for the area in general? Is it pretty much the same all over as far as sightings go?
Nice doe Joe!
I hunt over between Glennie and Mikado which is a bit south of Alpena. I was up there from Oct 24-Oct 29. Between 4 of us (2 only hunted the weekend) we saw a total of 10 deer during 6 days of hard hunting.:( To say sighting are down is an understatement. Saw only 3 scrapes and a couple of rubs. Now on a positive note, we (my brother and I) did take two nice does.:) Although with so few deer around, I kind of felt a little guilty about it. One observation I made is that the deer we did see both in the woods and shining at night looked very fat and healthy. Looks like they've been eating good!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Well done Joe.....Way to stick with it.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
At 8:30 the morning's coffee had to go. I let it rip from 20 feet, and followed it up with a couple doe bleats.... NOTHING! AT 8:50, I let out two really loud, desparate sounding bleats.
<----<<<
I try to tell everyone there just doe bleat when I fart after a pee too.;)

Very nice doe. Sorry to hear the lack of deer sightings. I heard it was a really rough winter last year in that area.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Way to git r done as the fat lady was warming up!:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Way to go, Joe -- really, really nice deer!!!

You could be a TV star; you did it just like they do......LOVE the last hour/minute shot opportunities....:D

Well done!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice doe! Gratz!

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Good job Joe. Nice to see a win for one of the good guys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts