Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the fates allow, November 15th, early morning will find me watching a sunrise in a cedar swamp, just as I have for year after year before. At around 7 a.m. I will start to hear gunshots that will increase in frequency 'til about 7:30 and string out thereafter for a good half hour (especially for a weekend opener). If even a fraction of these shots connect, the whitetail population of that and the neighboring sections should reach zero by about 7:20 a.m. But of course there are still plenty of deer out there. The frequency and timing was similar when that cedar swamp was located on the other side of the LP.

I admit I'm kind of dense, but what is everyone shooting at? Like I said, I doubt its deer unless I'm surrounded by the Helen Keller Hunt Club. Are guys exacting revenge on the red squirrels that busted them in archery season? Shooting bluejays that are disturbing their efforts to overcome hangovers? Am I hearing shots from a greater distance than I think? Are guys "missing" that often. I wonder if anyone has done research to estimate how many of those shots connect.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
My guess would be the shots are further then estimated. On the other hand maybe Ray Charles is your neighbor. haha

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
come on its the first day of bow season dont make me think of this yet :(

funny story though... watched a small 6 or 8 go to the neighbors once and i heard BOOM i was thinking what in the heck. (it was real small) and i go over there a little later to ask what he got and he said he had a muskrat in his pond that he didnt want anymore :lol:... it was illegal to shoot at it but funny none the less

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
yup guys shoot porkies,coons,yotes,fox,you name it .can't believe they would give up their position that early in the morning. then around 10 they start checking to see if their gun is sighted in from last year..DUMB:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts