Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? Looking for some first hand info from an owner.

Looks like there only a handfull of registered breeders in the US.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
If you don't get any reponses here, check at duckboats.net. I believe there are acouple of Toller people there.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My uncle has two. Both good retrievers, seem like good pets. They get hot very easy. That with short legs handicap them for upland. If you are a serious duck and goose hunter I'm not sure these are your dog. I believe there is a breeder in Zeeland.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My uncle has two. Both good retrievers, seem like good pets. They get hot very easy. That with short legs handicap them for upland. If you are a serious duck and goose hunter I'm not sure these are your dog. I believe there is a breeder in Zeeland.
Thanks, I'll check into the Zeeland lead.

Yes waterfowling would be the primary workload for the dog as well as a running partner for my wife. She doesn't want a lab and I don't wan't Golden and a Chesie is too big for us.

·
Premium Member
12,758 Posts
My dad had a toller, she was a great companion dog but pretty lacking in the hunting dept. She came from southwest michigan. His dog liked retreiving dummys but not birds with feathers. She also loved ice cubes out of dads sour mash.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
A GWP might be a good choice. Swim like a lab, good exercise companions, weigh about 50-70 lbs, and there are a few breeders in MI so some pups are usually available or on the way. I know of a good litter on the way in the Lansing area. Just a thought for if you have a hard time finding a Nov Scot DTR or decide that isn't the right breed for you. Hope you find a pup.

·
Registered
841 Posts
When I was looking for a dog I wanted a Toller really bad, unfortunately they are almost impossible to find, most breeders have a waiting list as well as questionaires.. I hope you find one though!!!! I would be jealous, I wanted one soo bad!!! but just to let you know if you do find one you will pay for it too, they are quite expensive dogs.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had a epiphany. I was playing with my 7 month old setter in the back yard with a laser pointer and as I got to play with her she started pointing it, stopping for minutes waiting for it to move again...and this is the first time she has ever pointing anything for that long, does anyone know if this could possibly be a used as training, and if so how???? could i replacate it with birds with the same results?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A GWP might be a good choice. Swim like a lab, good exercise companions, weigh about 50-70 lbs, and there are a few breeders in MI so some pups are usually available or on the way. I know of a good litter on the way in the Lansing area. Just a thought for if you have a hard time finding a Nov Scot DTR or decide that isn't the right breed for you. Hope you find a pup.

Thanks for the info. Help me out here GWP?:confused: "Great Water Poodle"??:lol:

I'm in Lansing 3 times a week. I might be looking for some more info. I am basically in "reconisence" mode right now. My mind is not made up on breed yet. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.
Criteria.....Wife says NO labs:mad:
...............I don't want a Golden
...............Chesies are great but too big
...............needs to be good around kids, and family
...............also needs to earn his/her keep during waterfowl season
................needs to be smarter than my teenage daughter...(Not going to be hard to do!:lol:)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I guess Giant Poodles are good duck dogs, I think they like to swim.:lol:

GWP = German Wirehaired Pointer. Not sure if you were teasing me or not, but as a breed, they meet all of your listed criteria. They are not as common as GSPs (German Shorthairs), Setters, Labs, etc, but there are some around.

Upland bird pointer and retriever....

Love to be exercised....

Love the water, great duck dogs....no pics yet of her swimming, but she'll retrieve the Dokken Duck until you stop throwing it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess Giant Poodles are good duck dogs, I think they like to swim.:lol:

GWP = German Wirehaired Pointer. Not sure if you were teasing me or not, but as a breed, they meet all of your listed criteria. They are not as common as GSPs (German Shorthairs), Setters, Labs, etc, but there are some around.

Upland bird pointer and retriever....

Love to be exercised....

Love the water, great duck dogs....no pics yet of her swimming, but she'll retrieve the Dokken Duck until you stop throwing it.

Nope, no teasing. I did a search and figured it out. Sounds like they were bread to be a "jack of all trade" hunting dogs back in the olden days.

Thanks for your input. I'll research this bread some more.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
You might also consider looking into an American Water Spaniel if you can find one. Springer Spaniels don't make bad duck dogs either, though in the late season it might be a little too cold for them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts