Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 280 of 280 Posts

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
We are losing people, jobs and investment from Michigan because we have a culture of irrational entitlement.
You mean like people thinking they are entitled to being able to hunt the opener without planning for, and using up a vacation day?

Like I said before, let a guy talk long enough...

:lol:

KPC

·
Banned
895 Posts
You mean like people thinking they are entitled to being able to hunt the opener without planning for, and using up a vacation day?

Like I said before, let a guy talk long enough...

KPC
I can always hunt the opener and I've said that I would support the 15th if there was a convincing economic case for it, so I don't think you've made a valid point. I wouldn't even call it a nice try. It's more like a "I'll use anything to help me pretend I've got a valid opinion." kind of try. :D

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
So Bambicidal....I will AGAIN ask: What is the economic justification for moving to a Saturday opener?

No response...? Is this just a feel good thought that you have?

Let me guess, you will come back with an arguement or excuse to NOT have to answer the question.....again.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Its the 15. Personally to me its just a date. Ill hunt no matter what. But I would be in favor of changing it to a sat opening.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
I can always hunt the opener and I've said that I would support the 15th if there was a convincing economic case for it, so I don't think you've made a valid point. I wouldn't even call it a nice try. It's more like a "I'll use anything to help me pretend I've got a valid opinion." kind of try. :D

BM:

The funny part of this whole thing is that you don't even know what my point was/is. You are just hell bent on pigeonholing someone INTO a position, just so you can argue against it.

Here, I'll help you out. Here is my first post on this thread. I won't even make you go look for it. I'll even underline the parts that speak to my "point."

"I realize I'm a little late to this party, primarily because it honestly makes no difference to me what day opening day falls on. I'm going to be out there on opening day, not matter what day that falls on.

What seems kind of interesting to me, while reading through the responses, it that it looks like the majority of those pushing for the Saturday opener are private land owners. Interesting, in that no matter what day the opener falls on, the same number of people are going to be on their land.

This seems to be the normal trend around here. Most of the "improvements" to MI deer hunting that are being advanced, are by people that can already practice those things on their private land if they choose to.

If I own my own land (which I do) opening day can be any day I choose, as long as it falls within what the state already allows. If I want APR's or OBR, or NBUTYOOMOTPOB (no bucks unless three years old or more or ten points or better), I can do that.

It just seem rather strange to me that some private land owners spend so much time, energy, and resources trying to control things on land other than their own.

KPC"

You just keep going round and round, fighting with yourself, over things that people never said.

Knock yourself out, I have more interesting things to discuss, and quite frankly, more intelligent people to discuss them with.

Now, if we could just get Michigan to declare that St. Patricks day would always be celebrated on Saturday, all the Irish people in the nation would move here, and all our economic problems would be over.

KPC

·
Banned
895 Posts
So Bambicidal....I will AGAIN ask: What is the economic justification for moving to a Saturday opener?

No response...? Is this just a feel good thought that you have?

Let me guess, you will come back with an arguement or excuse to NOT have to answer the question.....again.
It seems likely that there would be greater availability of more hunters and more potential hunters. It also seems likely that there would be more travel especially if we have a split opener.

What is the economic case for the 15th?

·
Banned
895 Posts
BM:

The funny part of this whole thing is that you don't even know what my point was/is. You are just hell bent on pigeonholing someone INTO a position, just so you can argue against it.
No, I'm not "hell bent on pigeonholing someone INTO a position". I have no concern for whether you take a position or not. My interest is in whether you can produce an economic case for anything other than Saturday. That's all. I don't care if, once you produce that case you say, "But I'm still not supporting changing to that day."

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Sorry BM, a few "seems likely's" do not make a good reason to change anything.

Personally, I don't think hunting regulations were made to fix financial woes of the state, but since you keep bringing it up, I was looking for your analysis.

Seems like the well is dry...

I think I am done with this thread...I have a November 15th opener to prepare for. :lol:

Thanks.

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
No, I'm not "hell bent on pigeonholing someone INTO a position". I have no concern for whether you take a position or not. My interest is in whether you can produce an economic case for anything other than Saturday. That's all. I don't care if, once you produce that case you say, "But I'm still not supporting changing to that day."
I'm with the others, I'm done with this. It's boring.

I'll simply end by saying that the 15th is the baseline. It is incumbent on those wanting to change it, to come up with a sufficient enough argument to necessitate that change.

So far, flowery rhetoric aside, you have failed miserably.

:nono:

KPC

·
Registered
64 Posts
There has to be a lot more to a Poll than just posting it. Could it be that back then Deer Hunters overall were not as into Deer Hunting as today or maybe the 42% was because more back then had other things going on that putting in a vote. A number is just that without having reasons why it just a number. Like gouing to the vote for a issue or even a President election they barely get 50% turnout so could thaty be why. You never get 90% so it is just a number. Or maybe they were not good time being too busy with other things going on in their life and a poll is just that not high on their things to do... And what was the Total Number of hunters??? A lot less than today I would think but again 42% could be a decent number without more information...

Newaygo1
Cancel gun season.....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ohio and Wisconsin Gun Seasons start AFTER Michigan's..suppose it has something to do with waiting for the bucks to get their work done before theyre harvested?

I have mentioned before that the first two weeks of November the Bow Hunters really clobber our breeders, citing the Big Buck Contest aired on TV...I notice Gretzinger was NOT putting up the date of harvest this year...just the method.

I'm not about creating a pissin match Bow vs. Gun....I've passed that stage of guaging success on antler size or if I even harvest a deer.

If we want better antler size and a healthier gene pool I believe we need to lay off the deer that first two weeks of November REGARDLESS of method of take.

The technology improvments and deadly efficiency of Bow Hunting has advanced dramatically, and while the Bow Hunters right now are about ready to hang Me for uttering such offensive words, if something doesnt change, enjoy it while you have it guys because it isnt going to last.

Never before to my knowledge have the deer had the pressure during that PRIME rutting period. Think about it is all I ask.....not taking sides on who gets what dates to hunt, but if it doesnt change I fear disaster in the coming years.

Moving the gun season to the saturday BEFORE the 15th COULD potentially knock the heck out of the breeding buck population before they get their work done...perhaps that is WHY the date was set mid month in the first place?

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
S.E.M.O.R.E.,

Interesting comments, but I am a bit confused by your end point. Are you saying to leave the November 15th opener where it is, or to move it to sometime later?

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
S.E.M.O.R.E.,

Interesting comments, but I am a bit confused by your end point. Are you saying to leave the November 15th opener where it is, or to move it to sometime later?

Thanks.
I've been good with it remaining on the 15th...

I would go for the saturday AFTER the 15th IF it's going to change to a saturday opener..

but that would be IF there was a quiet period from end of October to the traditional gun opener mid month...if no quiet period then it really wont make much difference.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Understood and no arguement. Just trying to understand your perspective...

You also seem to be in tune with the hunter sensitivity on this board. :lol:

261 - 280 of 280 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.