·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I always work to make life better.

The only thing I get tired of is apathy.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That was 56 yrs ago, it obviosly had not become a tradition yet.:D

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
I am retired so I could give a rats, but the "15th" opener is the most stupid thing I have a displeasure of being involved with. It is really not very fair for the working guy/gal.

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
I'm apathetic.

Actually, that's not true. I hate gun season, It is always a disappointment, so if it got pushed back and I got to bow hunt more in November, that would be awesome.

I take the apathetic statement back.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I suppose next you'll try to convince us that it was a computer or Ipad generated poll....:rolleyes: Polls back then were whatever the opinion of the guys sitting around the bar with you had after a couple beers.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
There has to be a lot more to a Poll than just posting it. Could it be that back then Deer Hunters overall were not as into Deer Hunting as today or maybe the 42% was because more back then had other things going on that putting in a vote. A number is just that without having reasons why it just a number. Like gouing to the vote for a issue or even a President election they barely get 50% turnout so could thaty be why. You never get 90% so it is just a number. Or maybe they were not good time being too busy with other things going on in their life and a poll is just that not high on their things to do... And what was the Total Number of hunters??? A lot less than today I would think but again 42% could be a decent number without more information...

Newaygo1

·
Registered
211 Posts
leave the opener on the 15th and use vacation days wisely. people always want to change something. the 15th has worked all these years it will work for years to come.

·
Banned
895 Posts
I hate gun season, It is always a disappointment, so if it got pushed back and I got to bow hunt more in November, that would be awesome.
I don't think gun season stops anyone from bowhunting more in November.
I think letting what other hunters do stop us from doing what we want to do is a flimsy justification for trying to take away their options. Having said that, I wouldn't mind if St. Antlers Day floated to Saturday so more gun hunters would be able to participate in the gun season opener. It would be good for the economy and boost attendance in schools on the 15th.

·
Premium Member
13,406 Posts
Waytogo PF.
Keep up the drumbeat.

Changing the deer hunting culture is like turning the Queen Mary...... takes a lot of room, time, and effort .....but it can be turned and has been turned before.
It's a change we can believe in.

(I stole that last comment)

·
Banned
895 Posts
It seems to me that if we had a tradition of letting the state government make decisions based on sound sustainable economics, we would be a more competitive state.

What would be the cost to the state of letting the gun season opener move to Saturday? Would we lose hunters? Would we lose economic activity? Would we lose license revenue? Would we hammer the deer population so low that we would lose in the long run? I think the answer to all of those is "No, the opposite is more likely."

It seems to me that despite the cries for the November 15th tradition, we would most likely only get positive results, especially if we opened in Zone 1 and maybe Zone 2 on an earlier Saturday than Zone 3. I can't prove that it would help the economy, but the cost to the state of trying it seems very low and the potential for it helping seems very high.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.