Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a .243 Win. bolt-action rifle for hunting. Now if one were to look at my shotguns, .22s and even a couple pistols, I'm a Remington guy, so the Remington 700 seems like a natural pick but I really like what I see with Winchester's Model 70 Featherweight. Preferring a traditional (non-Monte Carlo) wood stock, the contenders from Remington would be the CDL version of their 700 or SEVEN series vs. the Winchester.

Understanding this is a Ford vs. Chevy type of debate, allow me to stipulate that I'm only interested in a new-production rifle, so arguments about Winchester's old pre-'64 models compared to today or Remington's unsafe trigger from back when whenever it was are irrelevant. My question is if you were shopping for a new .243 hunting rifle TODAY and could only pick between Winchester or Remington, which would it be and why?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Both are good choices, it comes down to the small things for me. Where do you want your safety located, flat or round bottom receiver and push feed vs control feed? Don’t get wrapped up what in brand, pick them both up and you will know which one is right for you.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I have, use, and like older versions of both. Were I to be looking for a new one I'd look at the Winchester first. This if from small preferences on small things. Whatever fits you best really.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I want a .243 Win. bolt-action rifle for hunting. Now if one were to look at my shotguns, .22s and even a couple pistols, I'm a Remington guy, so the Remington 700 seems like a natural pick but I really like what I see with Winchester's Model 70 Featherweight. Preferring a traditional (non-Monte Carlo) wood stock, the contenders from Remington would be the CDL version of their 700 or SEVEN series vs. the Winchester.

Understanding this is a Ford vs. Chevy type of debate, allow me to stipulate that I'm only interested in a new-production rifle, so arguments about Winchester's old pre-'64 models compared to today or Remington's unsafe trigger from back when whenever it was are irrelevant. My question is if you were shopping for a new .243 hunting rifle TODAY and could only pick between Winchester or Remington, which would it be and why?
I have owned the CDL in .243 for 5 years and love it. Have never held the Win. so i cant speak much on the comparison but mine quickly became my go to for two reasons.

1. It is my most accurate rifle once i found the right ammo
2. It is light and can be carried all day without even noticing

·
Registered
509 Posts
I’ve considered both actions many times—and own two Howas, which are 700 copies. But the only Remington centerfire I own is a Model 7.

The issue in my mind is your requirement of new production. I must be getting old, because I am not sure I trust anything from either company newer than 1995 or so.

BTW, the model 7 (also a .243) shot a five shot 100 yard group of .88” yesterday with off the shelf Hornady 100 gr ammo, so I guess that would be my choice. Good trigger—about 4.5 pounds—, nice balance, fed and ejected smoothly. I’m not a huge fan of Remington’s clip extractor, but this one hasn’t caused any problems.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
I had a Model 70 in 30:06 but sold it when I started shooting Remingtons. I have Rem 700's in both .22-250 and .270. I adjusted the triggers on both of them and set them in aftermarket stocks. I love both of them.

I don't have a .243 but I am seriously considering buying one...just because I don't own one. As much as I like my Rem 700's, my next one will be a Tikka T3 Lite. Easily adjustable triggers and the smoothest action of anything I've ever owned. If I wanted to spend a little more money I would go ahead and buy the Sako but the Tikka is made by Sako and shoots just as well (almost) :).

Reactions: spikehornkid

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you want or need the bolt to lock when the safety is ON you only have one option. If a locking bolt is not an issue to you it doesn’t matter. Both are fine rifles.
I prefer a locking bolt but mostly hunt from blind now so really not an issue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where's the place to buy one in the metro Detroit area? Are there any gun shops with a decent selection of Winchesters in stock or am I looking at buying one online?

·
Registered
35,285 Posts
This thread got me thinking about the 243 win again. I have an Encore full bull barrel made by Bullberry. It’s very accurate but it has a 1:12 twist rate. Accuracy starts going away in the 70grain area unless I push them hard. It’s a true one hole rifle at the 55gr range.

I started looking for another Thompson Center Icon 1:9 twist. I love the Hogue overmolded stock model , with a weather guard finish so the search was on for a little brother to my Icon 308 win. I finally tracked down a Rochester NH 3 digit serial number rifle. It should be at my gun dealer by midweek. Trigger spring, over travel and creep adjustment are the first order of business then it’s off to the range.

It coming with a Nikon 3-9x Monarch UCC scope. The most amazing part is that the dealer shipped it the same day as I mailed my money order. There is still trust in the world. :)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I bought a 700 SPS in .270 Win and put a Hogue rubber overmolded stock on it. Got rid of the stock trigger and put a Timney on it. I bedded the action, and worked up some 130 gr Accubond loads for it. It's absolutely light out accurate. 5/8" groups.

Either gun is a good choice, and both have their good points. I like to tinker, so I went with the Remington. There are thousands of aftermarket parts for it. I can't remember ever having a push feed action fail on a 700, except for maybe some long seated handloads.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
On a side note, I bought a Tikka T3 Lite in 243 for my daughter. It's an amazing rifle. Great accuracy with many factory ammo choices, and the trigger is one of the best I've shot. The action is buttery smooth. Probably the smoothest I've seen. I think it was $690 out the door.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts