Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is actually a duplicate thread, i meant to post it here and not in the habitat thread...mods, please combine it here

So I hunt in the wood line on the edge of an overgrown field overlooking a 1/2 acre foodplot of soy beans and purple top turnips...I wake up today and hear the sound of equipment coming from the field...

To make a long story short, the land owner is allowing a friend to farm the field and this morning, he was in the process of brush hogging it...

I'm not too sure what to make of this because he's erasing all of my hard work and sweat equity that I put in this summer with each pass of his mower...I can only hope that he actually plants the field soon and not leave it mowed down or tilled up bare dirt because that would effectively ruin my season...

what do you guys think about this? how do you think it will affect the deer movement if he brush hogs and leaves it? how about if he leaves a tilled up field and waits to plant til next year?

what the heck is he even going to plant in October? Wheat? if he does, will it grow enough to become a draw for the deer?

sorry for all the questions, guys...im just bumming out right now...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please tell me he is not mowing your food plot.
he clipped it already...i was told he wouldnt touch it, tho...

i kinda have to keep things in perspective here because i dont pay him to hunt, im just extremely lucky cuz hes known me since i was little

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
Sounds like your screwed for this year. Deer will not use that field if there is nothing for them to eat, that is unless there are crops on the other side of the field. If that's the case they may cross the open field. It is past the time to plant WW so you may be SOL until he plants next spring.

Sorry for your luck.

I would have talked to the owner/farmer to see if he would leave your food plots to just to see what they'd say.

·
Registered
35,738 Posts
This year may be a bust but in the long term things may work out better if it's farmed. The easy way to find out what is going on is to ask the guy who will be farming it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Had something similar happen, and it turned out to be a plus, for a good friend's property.

We actually seen more deer (and geese), after the overgrown field was cut. Farmer planted winter wheat the first year, which seemed to bring in more deer, and hunting didn't get worse.

Went and met the farmer, and found out his plans, shared the fact we hunt there. Farmer alternates crops, and planted corn the next year, then beans.

Shared some venison and fish with him. Now he plants small food plots along the edges, and leaves up a few stands of food for "the deer" for late season (beans)

I would go talk with the farmer. Might work in your favor.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had something similar happen, and it turned out to be a plus, for a good friend's property.

We actually seen more deer (and geese), after the overgrown field was cut. Farmer planted winter wheat the first year, which seemed to bring in more deer, and hunting didn't get worse.

Went and met the farmer, and found out his plans, shared the fact we hunt there. Farmer alternates crops, and planted corn the next year, then beans.

Shared some venison and fish with him. Now he plants small food plots along the edges, and leaves up a few stands of food for "the deer" for late season (beans)

I would go talk with the farmer. Might work in your favor.
i definitely plan on it but i keep missing him, lol...i was gunna ask if he'd plant something for me along the edges...only time will tell but you guys are definitely making me feel better about this situation

this isnt the end of my season by any means because i have other setups but, believe it or not, this is the spot that i see the most big bucks every year...they have to pass through the field to get back into the doe bedding areas so maybe it wont matter what he does...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I doubt he's planting anything this year. Mowing now, probably spray in a week so that it breaks downt he soil and then will probably spray again in the spring and follow up with a disc. Long run will be a benifit IMO

·
Registered
480 Posts
We had a 100 acres of the most wicked bedding/CRP/foodplot. I'm talking about the stuff dreams are made of. Showed up September 28 to a "park like" feel it was only missing swings, slides and play structures! :D We leased this land so it was a big problem for us, after talking with the owner and the farmer we decided to just suck it up keep the lease and hunt the tree lines and bottoms. I remember talking with Gunfun13 on here and explaining how bad it was! :dizzy: It turned out to be the best year we have ever had out there with three bucks over 120" two P&Y on the ground. The deer literally would walk right out and across the field we actually had an opportunity at another 140 class deer that bedded in a 5' clump of non-cut CRP in the middle of the "park", it was crazy! I will never look at a cut CRP field the same! In our case the farmer treated the brush hogged field with round up and there was no intention of planting that fall. In mid December he plowed the field. All in all I would have preferred the CRP but now we have a consistent rotation of corn and beans. The best part is the owner, farmer and our group are all on the same page now with out issues in the last 3 years. Good luck and always think positive it might be the best year you will ever have.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It's not too late to plant winter wheat the farmer where we hunt planted winter wheat last week and it's up 4 inches already and deer are pounding it! They love winter wheat.... If he gets it in soon your season isn't a bust... Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Waz...sell all your hunting stuff,let me know where your stand is and ill hunt it;);). You will be fine. The deer will adapt and you will have to too. Make sure you always have calls with you as those will be your best weapons.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Waz...sell all your hunting stuff,let me know where your stand is and ill hunt it;);). You will be fine. The deer will adapt and you will have to too. Make sure you always have calls with you as those will be your best weapons.
LMAO, not quite bro!

I am feeling a lot better about the situation now but those hopes will fade fast if he tills it and leaves bare dirt until spring...I'm really hoping he plants it soon tho cuz I know what that fresh, young wheat will do for the deer, especially in the late season

I can see this going good if he just mows it too...in that case, deer could browse on new growth plus, they can see the entire field so you'd think that it would make them feel safer crossing it

Who knows tho, only time will tell!

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Lol....dont sweat it even if he tills. It might get tougher but still huntable. Whats your work schedule like. Meet up with me one day, go throw some bait out and ill show you some of my sets and youll say"damn if he shoots deer here i ******* will no problem"

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Personally I would be checking the wooded area out for some White oaks that are dropping acorns right now. The mowing may help increase buck travel through some wooded pinch points and travel corridors as well. Be flexible. JMO

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It's not too late to plant winter wheat the farmer where we hunt planted winter wheat last week and it's up 4 inches already and deer are pounding it! They love winter wheat.... If he gets it in soon your season isn't a bust... Good luck
This. He may throw wheat in as a cover crop to establish some nutrients. This is what we are currently doing to our harvested silage fields, and I think deer feed well on winter wheat. Especially after other crops are harvested.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
If you can strike up a good relationship with the farmer maybe you'll be able to persuade him to chisel plow it for you. Nothing draws in big hawg bucks like the smell of a freshly plowed field.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so, apparently, the deer aren't bothered by the cutting...YET...

the whole field hasn't been cut yet and im not sure if it will be this year but i went out tonight for the first time since he started cutting and seen 7 total, 6 doe with fawns and 1 buck...the does came right across the field and into my food plot while the buck was trotting along the opposite side of the field where it has been cut

in the picture, i illustrated what has been done so far...

everything in red is what has been cut, white is just a border...he cut a chunk on the east side closest to the road plus about a 2 swipe-wide path all the way around the field

green is still standing grass

the pink dot is my stand

hopefully, he leaves it what it is now because the deer seemed to like it, especially that buck!

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
If they are just cutting/chopping it no big deal may even be good in the short term, if they plow it could be a different story, talk to them and find out their plans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 20 Posts