Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I’m looking for is someone to come to our property in Paradise with a lime and manure spreader hopefully mid to late June.

We have 10 acres we are working with, and we are renting a backhoe to pluck stumps with. Hopefully we can get at least five of it cleared this year.

We need someone who has a spreader to come out and put down the manure and lime. We will do the tilling with our equipment. But again we need the goodies dropped before we can do it. Last year we did our lime by the bag and fertilized the same way.

Since we’ve never done this in bulk before what can we expect to pay?

Also if no one can do it is there a rental place close to Paradise that rents spreaders? Preferably between Trout Lake and Newberry

Where can bulk lime be purchased for delivery? What price can be expected for delivery of lime?

Where can one get manure also? Same question here?

·
Registered
36,658 Posts
Cheboygan Coop in Rudyard has a spreader they bring up from Cheboygan. You can spread lime or bulk fertilizer with it. Jerry at the Coop can probably help you out with a number for a lime hauler or RM Rico for another guy to deliver AG lime. He did the same thing last August.

All you will need is a tractor/FEL & PTO to pull the spreader and to load the bulk lime.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
bunji
I am sure it is pretty much universal but I paid 25 a ton with a full truck load min. of 14 ton. Why dont you talk with a local farmer? Manure I am sure will be a much harder task to find.
I am not a pro and sure others will be able to help more, but my best guess would be around 25 a ton spread.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have never done this myself, but I have heard that local dairy farmares are the best ones to talk to about manure. Seems they produce more then they can use and are glad to spread some on your land for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LUV2 thanks for the info. Is the COOP open on saturdays?

Do you think an 8N is good enough for the tractor/pto end? FEL will have to be the backhoe we rent. hopefully we can get it done all on the same weekend.

Not sure if there are "farms" up there never really took a drive other than up to the point. Will check into it though.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Getting lime spread has been my biggest problem in getting my food plots established here in the WUP. All other problems I have been able to work out, like getting the land cleared, rocks removed, weeds killed and working up the soil. But getting tons of lime spread has been a problem. I have located a company that will deliver the lime but doesn't have the capability to apread it. Now I think I have a solution ??? I talked to Monroe Tufline about their 600lb ATV spreader. Their off the record comments are that they have used the spreader to spread bulk lime, although granted it is not perfect. Biologic has given me the same comments. So what I plan to do is buy the spreader and struggle through the process of spreading 4-5 tons of lime per acres. In future years the amout of lime needed will be much less and much easier to do. I can then also use the spreader to spread fertilizer which I will need any way. Another plus is that a couple of my friends are also putting in food plots and they want to go in on the spreader with me and that makes the cost very reasonable to gain control over spreading lime and fertilizer. There is a little risk that is won't get the job done but it can always be used for fertilizer and if it get the lime spread, it will be a terrific bargin. I will let you know how it works out. Lew

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
More info on lime & spreader:

http://www.wikco.com/800.html

Rudyard co-op 906-478-7411 Lime spreader

michigan lime stone "Cederville" 906-484-2201

loaders/haulers Russle Sherland 906-484-3584

The fun part is trying to put it all togeather. The one thing missing from this is the means to load the spreader. Your best bet is to try to line up a local farmer w/ a frontend loader.

Good luck,
Ric

·
Registered
817 Posts
Luv2 & Rico, Thanks for the tip. I have looked at that spreader for lime and right now I favor the Monroe Tufline. I feel that the Tufline spreader will be better for the long term of spreading fertilizer. The question is will it do an acceptable job spreading lime ??? At this point it is hard to get solid information so I will probably just to have to take some risk and hope for the best. If anyone has the Monroe Tufline spreader, Iwould lke to hear their comments. Thanks. Lew

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
One thing to keep in mind on the tufline: Will it break-up the clumps of lime or will they plug the bottom?

·
Registered
36,658 Posts
Lew

I've tried to use my 3 pt spreader on AG lime. It does not work. The lime will bridge over the top of the agitator. It works great for fertilizer. You really need a live bottom spreader.

Did you try to contact your conservation district office to see if the have a lime spreader you can borrow/rent?

Our district used to have one but it was getting old and they auctioned it off a couple of years ago.

The Chippewa/East Mackinac district rents other equipment such as tree planting bars, back pack sprayers, 3pt tree planter, aerator and no till drill. Each district is different so check with the one where you are at.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Luv2 & Rico, The cavitation of the lime has been my concern about the Tufline working with bulk lime and you are probably right that I will have problems. My backup solution is there is a coop in Stephenson that rents a 6 ton lime spreader. I would have to haul the spreader 150 miles round trip with my pickup then use the tractor to load and pull the spreader. Not the easiest solution, but it would work. In future years if I need more lime I would have to go through the same process. So looking for some way to get more control so it would be easiesr to get the job done on a long term bases. Perhaps the other spreader that has a chain drive in the bottom would be a better choice. Thanks for the input. Lew

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thats a long way to haul somehting with no brakes and no ligts.

The co-op in Bad Axe lets me use thier spreader for free if I buy the lime from them. They fill it for me at the co-op. It works out well, but I have to borrow my buddys 2500HD or his brothers Suburban to pull the thing because my truck cant pull that much weight. It works out OK because the round trip is about 12miles. The real pain is having to unhitch the truck and attach the tractor. Be sure you are on level ground and chock the wheels on the spreader. Dont just stick a rock under the wheels, those flotation tires are designed to go right over that kind of thing. If that thing stats to run away on you you are in big trouble.

I have some larger fields planned for spring 2005 and I will just have the co-op come out and lime those with their truck because those fileds are acessable.

Still, I have some 1 acre and smaller fields that they cant get to with thier truck Using thier spreader puts me at the mercy of thier schedule, not to mention it get a little hairy getting that thing back to some of my smaller spots and manuvering it once Im there. So I have been looking for an alternative.

Take a look at this site, I e-mailed them 2 days ago for a price and local dealer and they havent gotten back to me yet. Depending on the price I may condsider buying one, the laternative would be using peletized lime on my smaller plots.

I also asked the manufacturer if it can be fitted with highway speed tires for transport empty. If it can It would be a great investment for 2 or 3 gus with property within 50-100 miles of each other.

www.barron-bros.com\products.htm

I will keep you posted

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LUV2 great advice thanks. Snce I'm up in your neck of the woods I'd like to know more about the area and your suggestions in and around the area.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thumbum, I also looked in to the Barron Spreader and if I remember right, the price for the 3 ton unit is $8000. Therefore, I quickly scratched it off my list. That is why I am looking at the Monroe Tufline. Best of luck. Lew

·
Registered
494 Posts
WOW
I didnt pay that much for my tractor!!
Thanks for the heads up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts