Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
RD
Boy does your lab remind me of my lab that passed a few years ago. I just called the boss woman to see the picture. The first word out of her mouth were "Is that Sandy!"

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i took the the Plant Manager with me today, we shot two mallards. his quote of the day was" i could have just sat in the boat and rode down the river all day it was just beautiful"....hope he remembers that at raise time,lol

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I'm proud to be in a 3rd generation of a waterfowl hunting family just appreciative of every opportunity we get. I was taught to treasure every morning in the marsh. Grandad used to say whether we got a limit or not, it sure was a beautiful sunrise! Even on the nastious of days!

Was also taught to take turns first shot as kids and be a backup occasionally. I found out you get more hunting time and everyone enjoys the hunt a lot more.

Competition has its place, but everyone can still have fun and get plenty of shooting by being curtious within your own group. When four or five of us shoot we turn and say good shot! Especially fun when you know you were the only one who pulled the trigger! :p

lol how many times has your buddy turned to you and said why didn't you shoot? When you were aiming at the same bird... and did shoot? lol
simultaneous shots are funny.

Good communication and organizations like taking turns on singles or single drake pairs or if you have birds on the left I'll take right, increases limits, safety, and good times!

Always hated to see the one guy that every bird that fell "I got it"!

That type of hunter typically did not get repeated invites or we broke him by ok now you're the retriever unload your gun. :eek:

Good pictures and beautiful dogs!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm almost 40 and my dad is still hunting with me. Listening to him and his friends tell old duck hunting stories from 40 years ago is the best part of the hunt every time. Shooting ducks is just the bonus

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Retired Ducker, I certainly don't mean to hijack your thread but I believe it's about spending time in the field and enjoying a good day in the hunt. I was solo all day today cause my usual hunting buddy is in the hospital with cancer.

Today I certainly didn't put a hurting on the ducks today, but I did see a lot of geese. I'd set out 10 full bodied goose decoys in the field just off the perimeter of my marsh expecting wind that never happened. The geese seemed to want to land just out of range on the outside all morning. Never took a shot at them.

My marsh had dried up to the point there was barely any water. So I went to breakfast and then went to the rental store and rented a water pump and came back and fired the pump up and let it pump from a deeper end of water near timber over a slight rise into my marsh. ;)

While it was running I took the full bodied decoys out in the field further with my layout blind and get settled in. About 5:15 I had a flock of seven beautifully cup in to my spread landing within 10 feet of my blind. Boom Boom and my hunt was done.

Before I could get out of the blind I noticed more geese coming so I just set back made a few clucks and in then they came. First about 15 followed by 10 followed by 25 and another 15 to 20. Holly geez suddenly I was surrounded! Love that fun to sit there with 75 80 birds all around me. I thought my dog was gonna freak. lol

Would have been nice to be early season, but I was pretty happy with two!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts