Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's youung ,tender,and soon to be in my freezer.

Went out tonight and was watching a small doe for a little while. It took off on its own and later it (or one same size)came back out. I was waiting for mom to come out or possible be run by a buck but nothing. and, with only one day of hunting before I go back to work for the week I decided to take her (2 doe permits anyway) I got to her and because she was all alone was kindda hard to tell how big she was, well she was'nt big at all. it was a baby. well at least it wasnt a button buck.
just had to get this off my chest.

·
Registered
49 Posts
merrill hunter said:
well at least it wasnt a button buck.
Now what about someone that shot a button buck but didn't know it was until he got to the downed deer? This happened to me last night and I still feel bad about it even though I know it happens more often then people like to admit.

From what I could see at the time, I had no idea that it was a button buck, just a doe and I was taking it since I hadn't shot anything since the season started Oct 1st.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would just have felt bad because we don't see that many bucks around where we hunt. It dosent make sence there is a BIG creekflat that is real dense. next year we are planting food plots in hope of holding deer.

I just want the bucks to make it this year so that next year we should start seeing more!

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Tender vittles there.

I've been known to take the smallest in the group on numerous occassions.

Veal-ison I call it and it's tough to beat for table fare.

Congrats.

·
Registered
591 Posts
young and tender yeah thats what the people say who are embarased about their kill. And for you doe hunters if you shoot a mature doe at 140lbs instead of the 80 to 90 pound deer you just would not be shooting a button buck. there is a 50/50 chance when you shoot a small deer you will get a button buck. At 50 to 100 yards it is hard to see those buttons, but easy to tell if it is a mature deer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I shot the first deer that offered a good shot. Yes it was a button buck. That was thursday evening with only 1.5 more days of hunting up north. I have passed before on smaller ones and came home with nothing. This year I decided to bring home something. Personally I would rather have shot a bigger doe just to have more meat but the clock was ticking.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
young and tender yeah thats what the people say who are embarased about their kill.
Well...incorrect. Read again maybe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
willy05 said:
young and tender yeah thats what the people say who are embarased about their kill. And for you doe hunters if you shoot a mature doe at 140lbs instead of the 80 to 90 pound deer you just would not be shooting a button buck. there is a 50/50 chance when you shoot a small deer you will get a button buck. At 50 to 100 yards it is hard to see those buttons, but easy to tell if it is a mature deer.
From the posts I didn't get that anyone was embarrased one iota, just merely stating that they did not shoot a monster like some of you think they should be shooting! Get off of his back and the others that shot button bucks. Are they hunting in your back yard? NO! I seriously doubt any deer that they have ever seen would come close to your area so worry about yourself and what you want to shoot and have respect for others. I am starting to feel like a babysitter in this forum. I guess I am just so sick of all the negative posts and gripers. Way too much bickering going on in here lately instead of being happy for one another. I doubt if someone is so embarrased about what they shot that they would consider putting their name on here for everyone to criticise them about it. They come here to share their hunt and for us to get enjoyment out of it. If you come across a post that you are not so thrilled with instead of making rude gestures and trying to make someone feel like less of a man just exit the post and move onto one that you are happy with. I am sorry for rambling on about this, but I feel bad for you folks that are telling your stories on here and just because you may not be the big ole trophy hunter like some on here "THINK" they are you get bashed by them. When people keep bashing others they are going to quit posting alltogether and then what kind of a forum will we have here? Just my thoughts is all!

Ryan

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Why would you say that's not a quality deer? If you're trying to help out with deer management, you actually picked a good deer to shoot. A deer that will help in the goal of better "quality". A doe fawn is usually a "better" deer to shoot than say a yearling buck or a button buck, if you're attempting to bring sex ratio's back into whack. And on top of it, every single deer we kill is a quality deer. But to the point you alluded to and the connotation of "quality", you did a good thing. Don't forget the bonus of tastey meat! ;)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
First off congradulations on your deer........Second I agree with The Apprentice,there are those on here that seem to have made a career out of chopping folks off at the knees when things people post just does'nt fit into thier way of thinking.I have probably been quilty of it at times but try to watch myself,but it's a regular thing from a handfull of members and when called on it they give a half ars excuse to justify thier actions and a lame apology if called on it...Lets try to get along and remember why we come to this site......

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
willy05 said:
Way to thread crap! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
In my camp shooting a button is bad, you'll catch some bunk for it for sure. We have a rule that you wait for a group of does to come in and shoot the largest one. That being said, in real QDM situations (where i am included) the ocassional button will be taken, by mistake, and it has to be understood that it will happen. All the same, enjoy the harvest, you were sucessfull!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Why would you say that's not a quality deer? If you're trying to help out with deer management, you actually picked a good deer to shoot.
I agree with Bob. My brother and I both shot fawns on opening day 2004. This was on my quality managed property. In a QDM program, a doe fawn is usually a good deer to take.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
During bow season I passed on 9 bucks the biggest was a basket six point, and a lot of does. Now that gun season is here I have seen 3 deer. I hope I didn't wait to long .Congrats on your kill and enjoy ever bite . It should be real tasty.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
willy05 said:
young and tender yeah thats what the people say who are embarased about their kill. And for you doe hunters if you shoot a mature doe at 140lbs instead of the 80 to 90 pound deer you just would not be shooting a button buck. QUOTE]

Well willy if you shoot all the mature does what will you have left to do the breeding, the 70 to 90 lbs fawns when they come into heat in January and Febuary. Why do you think we end up with spotted fawns come Oct.1. We need some mature does running around for bredding puposes.

merrill hunter
Don't beat yourself up over it, it's happened to the best of us. As long as you made use of it there is nothing wrong with it and don;t let anyone tell you it is not a quality deer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts