Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,I'm gonna be up tomorrow to do a camper check and thought about hitting my marina (pt au gres) and maybe northport. How does northport marina work? Is there a parking fee? Any general areas to go there? Not looking for exacts obviously but just itching for some hard water. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,I'm gonna be up tomorrow to do a camper check and thought about hitting my marina (pt au gres) and maybe northport. How does northport marina work? Is there a parking fee? Any general areas to go there? Not looking for exacts obviously but just itching for some hard water. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Everybody I’ve ever seen fish there just parks in the parking lots. If you park in the back lot and fish on the first main cut into the marina you have good chances of getting pike on tip ups and jigging. Fished there about a dozen times this season and have caught nothing but 24-30” pike and walleye ranging for 6 to 10”. Only seen one keeper walleye come out of there so far. Use do-jiggers with a full minnow if your jigging for pike or tip with just a minnow head if you want to try for the little walleyes. Some days it’s non stop action on the tip ups. Did see a guy get a 39” northern there on a tip up so there are big ones. The main channel coming into the marina recently froze up and you can almost get out to the end of the rock wall but was open at the end. Make sure you spud out there just to be safe. Everything inside the marina was pretty solid 4-6” everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Is there any panfish in there to speak of?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Ive fished NP a lot over the years, mostly with a camera too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen panfish in there. The problem seems to be cover, there just isn’t any. Lots of predators roaming around, the previous post nails it regarding small walleye and pike. I usually see browns too, who knows what to do to catch them. Lots of dink perch and there’s some kind of a weird baitfish. The channel was a lot of fun 10 years ago, bigger predators out there.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Don't think there are many marinas that have any "cover". Significant cover anyways. Dont think I have ever fished a marina and didnt catch some type of panfish. Odd. Marinas draw panfish. Gotta be a MA crappie lurkin...
I’m mostly talking about standing weeds. Northport doesn’t have any until you get in the channel. I’ve fished several marinas with patches of standing weeds, that makes a huge difference.

Anything is possible regarding panfish in NP, just sharing a few years of experience camera fishing. Only marina I’ve fished where I didn’t encounter panfish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts