Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking the family up to the Antrim chain June 20-27. I am interested in getting the kids into some smallmouth. I assume the smallmouth will be off their beds, if so do they move out to the first break, do they still shallow, any suggestions on where to start? I like to fish husky jerks / x-raps and spinnerbaits, are there any other styles that are easy for kids (8-11 years old)? We are staying on Intermediate Lake.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There was just a big stone fly hatch this week on Intermediate. Might be able to pick some up shallow in the evening, otherwise fish breaks with the baits you mentioned. Might get the kids dragging a tube jig, always seem to catch a couple fish at Intermediate.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can't go wrong with a crawler on a harness or bare double hook rig for kids. I hear of decent walleye in intermediate too

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Throw a top water bait, like a Rebel Pop-R.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
4" senko-style baits in natural colors....zara spooks early and late and all day on cloudy days....and the baits you mentioned above.

if you get into lake st. claire on this chain, you can catch some hefty largemouth on senko's and topwaters as well. this lake also has a launch. just beware of the pike on all of these lakes.

:fish:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I threw x raps for smallies last year at the end of June with great success. The mayfly hatch was going strong and some clouds of them ontop the water looked like weed beds from a distance. Maybe you'll get lucky enough for a dead giveaway like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts