Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning with my dad at our favorite spot. Ended up catching a Nice Laker (released it) & a very late-run Chrome Bullet Coho (thought it was a chunky steelie at first). Overall, pretty good morning. Gotta figure out how to catch those Steelhead though.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
That is one nice looking coho. It's weird, the last 2 years have been just really slow on the steelhead side of things. I tried my spot this morning only to be shut out, switched spots a little bit, had a perfect surf coming in but couldn't fish it as it would get weeded up in about 5 minutes. Hopefully it's just running a little late this year.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That is one nice looking coho. It's weird, the last 2 years have been just really slow on the steelhead side of things. I tried my spot this morning only to be shut out, switched spots a little bit, had a perfect surf coming in but couldn't fish it as it would get weeded up in about 5 minutes. Hopefully it's just running a little late this year.
It’s definitely been a slow year. I fish the same general area and I think I’ve caught maybe 10 fish since September. Two were lake trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Lot of memories of throwing hardware off that pier all fall. Many when Lakers were legal and mixed with a few steel closer to the end. Most of the guys I fished it with are gone now. Thanks for the memory.
Man that's 90 percent of the reason we love to go out there and throw lures into the cold lake all morning .. surreal memories.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Sometimes I think that (memories) is why I keep trying it. Another 0fer this morning, 2 in a row now. The idea of late Coho in the port to my north was certainly motivating. Some Steel were hitting the pier this past weekend and just before; also a few Lakers last week but they seemed to have moved off again. One Steelhead was caught 30 yards from me this morning, and also one on Saturday near sunset. So it’s not like I had zero chance at a fish.

But there were also plenty of 3 rods X 8 hours = 0 fish, I believe, over the last couple weeks.

I used to catch 1 fish for 3 hours of casting while water was in the 50s. Except for the day I caught mass quantities of tiny Coho a week.5 ago, I haven’t caught a Lake MI Trout or Salmon this year. Last year, I caught a Steelhead jack on spawn, and had 2 other bites on 2 other days. I also caught one Chinook, last year. 2 years ago, I lost one nice Steelhead while casting. And that has been all I can report, for 2.5 seasons of Fall fishing.

Now I know that fishing for 1.5 hours on 6 different days is not the same chance as fishing for 9 hours on one day. But when it’s dry, I don’t have much time to fish. Life events and work events have conspired to keep me away from the U.P. this year; maybe next week. If my parents weren’t so old, I would have moved there years ago. No shortage of cold water fish up there.

Nevertheless, the weather for the next 3 or even 4 days will preclude most of my possible work activity. That will run me out, in the cold rain & snow. So I’m off to check the freezer to see what spawn I can thaw out, for some longer expeditions…

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sometimes I think that (memories) is why I keep trying it. Another 0fer this morning, 2 in a row now. The idea of late Coho in the port to my north was certainly motivating. Some Steel were hitting the pier this past weekend and just before; also a few Lakers last week but they seemed to have moved off again. One Steelhead was caught 30 yards from me this morning, and also one on Saturday near sunset. So it’s not like I had zero chance at a fish.

But there were also plenty of 3 rods X 8 hours = 0 fish, I believe, over the last couple weeks.

I used to catch 1 fish for 3 hours of casting while water was in the 50s. Except for the day I caught mass quantities of tiny Coho a week.5 ago, I haven’t caught a Lake MI Trout or Salmon this year. Last year, I caught a Steelhead jack on spawn, and had 2 other bites on 2 other days. I also caught one Chinook, last year. 2 years ago, I lost one nice Steelhead while casting. And that has been all I can report, for 2.5 seasons of Fall fishing.

Now I know that fishing for 1.5 hours on 6 different days is not the same chance as fishing for 9 hours on one day. But when it’s dry, I don’t have much time to fish. Life events and work events have conspired to keep me away from the U.P. this year; maybe next week. If my parents weren’t so old, I would have moved there years ago. No shortage of cold water fish up there.

Nevertheless, the weather for the next 3 or even 4 days will preclude most of my possible work activity. That will run me out, in the cold rain & snow. So I’m off to check the freezer to see what spawn I can thaw out, for some longer expeditions…
Thank you for the report and telling it like it is;)

We all are looking at where to place our expectations.

I hope you're at least enjoying the time spent catching fresh air rather than working!

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
I work outdoors and am far, far more fortunate than most in that regard. I just fish the pier & the beach because it maximizes the fishing time where I live. Less driving time, and less time bushwhacking. But it has been getting old to not even get a definitive ‘bump.’ I think I could do a little better, catch-wise, with a little more time available, which this incoming storm will certainly supply for me. And then normally on November 15th I can’t work anyway, so I fish hard for a week or so.

So I am going to change things up a little, and set a rod out for Menominees, for one. And also try a variety of tactics for Steelhead, like running an anchored bobber set-up, Skam-style, with a variety of bait, rather than just staring at 3 rods washing bags all day like everyone else. Though I did just thaw out some 2020 Coho ‘loosies’ from Lk Superior. And since we aren’t to the Magic 52 degree water yet, will probably keep throwing a lure most of the time, too.

I have been thinking the fishing is tough this year for a simple reason. The last few years, we have been complaining about periods of clay in the water. This year, I don’t think that will be a problem with lower water levels far less likely to hit a clay bluff. Instead, I think we have an opposite problem - fairly clear water. So I think gear choice / ‘presentation’ is perhaps more important, dunno. I’m not sure what color netting to try, among several questions that raises. Any thoughts on netting & floater color appreciated. Last year, an acquaintance swore every hit of the season came on pink and nothing else.

One thing I will never forget, that I have mentioned on here before, is an experience fishing at the Power House in the Soo, some 6-7 years ago now. That was in pure clear Lake Superior water. I was retrieving a classic blue/chrome Cleo, and as it got close to me the sun suddenly came out from behind a cloud. It looked like I was pulling a car part through the water, not a struggling baitfish, at all.

Since then I have preferred “glow” lures even in the daytime. Though I still throw chrome once in awhile. But even glow lures always have a chrome side. And meanwhile, Acme has quit offering their solid orange paint scheme, which hasn’t appeared on Wobblers Or Kastmasters for some years now. And where they go with such decisions, their imitators go the same.

So this afternoon while picking up a few knick-knacks for a new try at the Menominee (should be that time), I found a perfect product for my desire for non-chrome lures: decorator tape. I picked up some orange tape, and that made me remember I already have some glow tape from the same manufacturer. I sure hope it’s cold water hardy, but I expect so.

I have an interesting evening in front of me, prepping some gear and tying some bags. Which, like the 90 minutes of fishing at dawn and the 15 minutes in the bait shop and hanging out with y’all, is an incredible relief on an otherwise hella crappy day.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When we were out a couple days ago they were getting a few steel. I didn't hit any, just a bunch of weeds and tangles. Then the boy got bored with my program and caught fish on his own. lol.

They were getting them on pink netting to answer your question B.J.

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
973 Posts
Water is still warm compared to the past 2 years. My guess is we are 1 to 2 weeks behind schedule. I record dates and information from past trips and it is defenitly a warm fall.

Walleye fishing has been good, but my guess is with the warm weather, bait has been piling up better.

Just one young man's theory.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Did you say walleye? LOL. I forget about those at all the wrong times

1 - 20 of 44 Posts