Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trolled shallow water north of the Muskegon Channel with a buddy & we went 7 for 7 (6 browns & 1 steelhead).

Nothing on body baits so we switched over to a spoon program that finally started to produce some results.

3 of the browns hit a hammered silver/black edged Jr. Flutter Devle with a 1/2 oz. snap weight.

2 browns hit an orange crush mini Silver Streak using the snap weight.

1 brown hit a hammered silver/blue metallic edged Jr. Flutter Devle/snap weight set-up.

The hen steelhead also hit a hammered silver/black edged Jr. Flutter Devle/snap weight set-up.

Spoons were run between 80' & 120' back on Otter Boats. Varied the speed from 1.5 to 2.0 mph.

Tough to find warm surface water. The best we found was 39 degrees.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
syonker said:
3 of the browns hit a hammered silver/black edged Jr. Flutter Devle with a 1/2 oz. snap weight.
That's a good lure. I hit Port Sheldon solo this AM and went 2/3 on a silver/black glow Jr. Flutter Devle off a rigger. That's all they would hit. Water temps are still 39° f., about 5° cooler than St. Jo.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crowhunter-

We trolled a zig-zag course getting the inside Otter Boats into about 3 FOW with the outside boards not going any deeper than 12 FOW.

6-8 FOW was pretty good for us.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Severus-

I ordered my Jr. Flutter Devles based on a magazine article I came across and I've had pretty decent luck with them in the spring & late fall during nearshore trolling.

Eppinger is getting some more of my money tomorrow when I place another order for more copies/colors.

We were hoping to hit a pocket of warmer water Saturday, but the surface temps were pretty consistent during the entire troll.

When the pier guys are fishing in the channel you know the water on the outside is pretty cold.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Yep, I like them too. They really dance at low speeds. Do you use a leader with a small snap connector?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Serverus-

Yes, I use a small crosslock snap attached to a 20' section of 10# P-Line CFX fluorocarbon leader that I connect to a size #10 Spro Power Swivel.

Attached to the Spro swivel is 17# Stren golden as the main line for better visibility off of my Otter Boats.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
You use a similar setup to mine, although my leaders are only 6 'ft, and only run them off riggers. I think I read the same article a few years back in GLAngler by Ernie Lantiegne (sp?). I think Eppinger is doing a poor job marketing their lures, IMHO. I've never seen flutter devles anywhere except online.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, it was the old GLA magazine article that pointed me to these spoons. I then posted a thread on what colors I should buy and Ernie's son responded with the stock numbers of #355, #356, #357, & #359.

I agree on Eppinger's lack of a marketing strategy.

I thought for certain that they could be purchased at their Grand Rapids Sport Show booth, but I haven't found them there the last 3 shows.

To make it worth an online or mail order purchase, you need to order between 6-11 spoons to get a 10% price break ($3.78 per copy) or 12+ spoons to get a 25% price break ($3.15 per copy). List price is $4.20 each.

I forgot to add MI sales tax to my last order & Eppinger still sent me the spoons which I really appreciated.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
What time of day were you out and was it overcast Saturday? I was out of state Friday thru Sunday. Thanks, thinking of going out tomorrow if the lake permits.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Going to head out tomm. If lake permits,Its my last day off for a while. Was going to Portsheldon or Muskegon,just curios how far between spoon and snap weight you were running. I usually run a basic 50/50 program. Nice report hopully i have somthing to add tomm.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
syonker said:
Yup, it was the old GLA magazine article that pointed me to these spoons. I then posted a thread on what colors I should buy and Ernie's son responded with the stock numbers of #355, #356, #357, & #359.
That was an excellent article. And here I thought I was the only one who used flutter spoons. :)

109 posts in three years? Where ya been, Steve?

Ken

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken-

I confess that I've just "lurking" here until some of the regulars contributers got me to thinking that you have to give back & not just take from this site.

I appreciate the reports that appear here & I've benefitted from them, so now it's my time to step up & post.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wojowalleye said:
just curios how far between spoon and snap weight you were running. I usually run a basic 50/50 program.quote]

I've been putting the snap weight at the mid point of the line i.e. with 80' feet of line out the weight goes 40' ahead of the lure, with 100' of line out the weight goes 50' ahead of the lure, etc, etc

·
Registered
771 Posts
I trolled this evening just south of muskegon and was the only boat out. Fished from 6:30 to 8:30, and went 2 for 2 with a double header. one 5-6lbs the other 16-17". Fish hit in 7fow, one on blue/silver and the other a clown bodybait. Trolling about 1.8mph.

Good luck guys

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use a double uni-knot for mono-mono or mono-superbraid with good results. I hate to mention other websites but if it's OK take a look at animatedknots.com Shows detailed step by step for lots of knots.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts