Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed over to the North Lake (Middle Lake) at Stoney Creek Metro Park this morning to meet Walleye Mike for a little demonstration of his Vexilar FL-18. Wow, those are neat units. Threw my jig in the hole, watched the green bar go down to the bottom, jigged up a few times and could see the jig moving up and down. The fish were tight lipped though. I did get one small bluegill earlier while I was fishing in the hole without the vexilar. First fish of the year for ice fishing so that was cool (even if it was a 4" gill).

The ice was 4" (measured). The ice right near shore (like the first foot from shore) was a bit of open water and ice. We stayed to about 12:30pm and the surface of the lake ice was starting to melt just a bit. I probably would wait to go back until after we get the next cold snap that is supposed to be coming next week.

Thanks Mike for meeting me over there, leading the way out and checking the ice, and for showing me your vexilar.

I drove around the long way to Ridgewood picnic area so I could look at the main lake at Stoney Creek Metropark. I would say about 70-80% of the main lake is open water with ice cover just in the shallower coves and near shore. Probably will be a bit before the ice is safe there.

John

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, just noticed that. We both must have been making a bee-line to the computer :)

Have a Hapy New Year and thanks again.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts