Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hunt up in my area??? Just wondering how your season is going. It's a different beast up here than down state and in the U.P. To be honest with everyone, I'm trying a lot of different things since the ban on baiting but it's been pretty tough sledding. In sept, I had five different bucks on trail cams. No monsters but a couple respectable deer that I was hoping to get a crack at. Well, not sure if I pushed to hard or if they have just moved on on their own but haven't seen a buck yet. Shot a doe the first day out but haven't even seen a doe since then!

So, what's everyone up north been doing without their pile o' corn?:yikes::evil:

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Killing deer like we have been doing for more than a decade. The ban on baiting is nothing new to the NELP.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
736 Posts
I think all the deer migrated :)lol:) off of my property and moved downstate! I've not seen one deer this year, but i've heard a buck snort at me while i was at the campfire at about 11pm. (seriously, for the last two years he has).

Between Hillman and Aplena

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
So, what's everyone up north been doing without their pile o' corn?:yikes::evil:
Same as before the Ban...hunting travel routes to and from bedding and food... find the acorns.
But thats in NWLP so things might be different east of here ...=)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DeerManager, something like that happened to me last year. I went outside of camp around 9-10 to get some more firewood and one snorted at me too. He was REALLY close to our camp where we had over a dozen people nov. 14th.

sbooy, the problem I have is there are oaks all over the place. They are all red. I think if I could find a grove of white oaks, it would be a huge hotspot in our area....but it doesn't exist:( I think my main problem is I've never been able to pattern the bucks. It's not like down south where you have corn, beans, or what ever crop on both sides and you hunt the woods in the middle. Obvious funnels don't exist in my area...just a lot of woods. I have deer camps w/ food plots on two sides, HUGE baiters from down south on another and state land on the last side.

I guess I'm just frustrated watching too many hunting shows w/ huge bucks that I can only dream about.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I hear ya the big woods suck for patterning... I drove downstate last weekend and could not believe the number of deer I saw congregating under the oaks..
Yeah the hunting shows kinda skew the reality of MI hunting....

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Tough it out. You dont need the corn piles. They're starting to move nice now. At least where I'm at. I bet I saw 15 deer Tuesday night before 7. I didn't have a shot at any of them but it sure was nice to see them in light for a change and not on the IR cameras. Where in "Northeast MI" are you at? There's got to be guys on here around you.
Either that or just wait a bit and you'll be able to pick 'em up at the gas station right next to all of the feed pallets!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tough it out. You dont need the corn piles. They're starting to move nice now. At least where I'm at. I bet I saw 15 deer Tuesday night before 7. I didn't have a shot at any of them but it sure was nice to see them in light for a change and not on the IR cameras. Where in "Northeast MI" are you at? There's got to be guys on here around you.
Either that or just wait a bit and you'll be able to pick 'em up at the gas station right next to all of the feed pallets!
are you hunting a field edge or in the woods? I hunt in the Rogers city area where I have all my life. We have 80 in Mulkey. It's family land so it's all I know and I've only been bowhunting a couple yrs now so I'm having a tough time.

Just wondering if it was just me in my area. I hear yotes almost every time out so I figured the population may be down.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Whenever the coyotes come into our part of the river vallely, the deer vanish until the coyotes move on.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
To be honest with everyone, I'm trying a lot of different things since the ban on baiting but it's been pretty tough sledding.

If you have been hunting the NELP, how have you gotten away with putting bait out in a non-baiting area? Hmmmmm!

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Hunting in the cedar swamp although I have a stand and rifle blinds out and close to a couple plots. We had yotes just after opener and didn't see a thing for a while, maybe two weeks. It just picked up again last week late and that was at night. Tuesday was the first daylight that I've seen anything since the opener. I saw a bb opening morning. I used to hunt close to Hawks for a looong time. I have a buddy that fills a garden sprayer with apple juice and sprays everything around him until it's soaked. He swears by it. Never know, give it a try

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also hunt up in the "NO DEER ZONE". We have 130 acres just west of Atlanta, and we have really been trying to get our deer population up. We have all hard woods with about 15 acres of food plots through out the property. We have been doing QDM for the past 7 years, and have seen some improvement, but no one else on our street will join us to help the herd out.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
The baiting ban has hurt us, not gonna lie. It changed the way we hunt. Personally it didn't bother me, but my group as a whole it was rough on. As far as the hunting, we are all up in the QDM gang these days, so it's hard to say. I know for sure that the deer numbers have dropped, but buck sightings are probably better. We are still hunting hard, and the area seems to be hard hunted all together.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have been hunting the NELP, how have you gotten away with putting bait out in a non-baiting area? Hmmmmm!
If you don't read the post, then you shouldn't post yourself. Where do you get that I have been baiting out of anything I've said???

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hunting in the cedar swamp although I have a stand and rifle blinds out and close to a couple plots. We had yotes just after opener and didn't see a thing for a while, maybe two weeks. It just picked up again last week late and that was at night. Tuesday was the first daylight that I've seen anything since the opener. I saw a bb opening morning. I used to hunt close to Hawks for a looong time. I have a buddy that fills a garden sprayer with apple juice and sprays everything around him until it's soaked. He swears by it. Never know, give it a try
That's a heck of an idea. I'm going to try a new lure called butternut. Seems promising. Now, if my truck's transmission wouldn't have gone out, I would be in the woods tomorrow.....can't take the car out there....well, I could, but the wife would have a fit.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
To be honest with everyone, I'm trying a lot of different things since the ban on baiting but it's been pretty tough sledding.

How's that? These are your words. By NELP, you do mean Michigan? Baiting has been banned in the NELP for years.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
How's that? These are your words. By NELP, you do mean Michigan? Baiting has been banned in the NELP for years.
He is saying that SINCE the baiting ban, he HAS NOT been baiting because it's illegal and he's trying different things (NOT BAITING).

Am I right?

·
Premium Member
9,398 Posts
He is saying that SINCE the baiting ban, he HAS NOT been baiting because it's illegal and he's trying different things (NOT BAITING).

Am I right?
That's the way I read it.:) Maybe the skip has been in the sauce tonight........ Just kidding skip:lol:

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Okay, my apologies to ScottyG. If you are reading this, Scotty, please forgive my comments. I will assume that you have been hunting the NELP since before the TB outbreak and that you are still hunting there since the original baiting ban, which has been in place for several years. Im I right so far? Or, if you are referring to last year's baiting ban for the LP, that is a different story.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem. I've hunted in PI county my whole life except for the last couple of years when I lived in Traverse City. When in TC, I didn't have access to private land so I hunted on state land.....I don't see the point of baiting on state land, legal or not. But the fact of the matter is I'm a better archer than hunter so I was just looking for opinions/tips.

Looking back at it, I can see I should have worded myself better. Didn't understand what you meant at first. On a side note, I personally wish the ban on bait would be permanent and the state would emplament an earn a buck system. Or at least some kind of restrictions. Can someone please tell me why you can still buy bait at the gas stations? Smoking crack is illeagle and you can't buy that at gas stations!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts