Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering a bowhunt in North Dakota for something different to try, (for whitetails) I heard that some of the areas
are really good for P & Y bucks and was just wondering if any of
our members have hunted the Dakotas for whitetails and what
they have to say about it?

·
Team Yukon
4,872 Posts
I have 4 friends who have been going over for about the last 5 years. They started on Federal CRP land and did well, but they soon became familiar with the area and started asking permission on different farms. They now stay right at a guys farm and hunt around 500 acres. They usually bowhunt right up to their opener of rifle season. People are very friendly. Don't forget the shotguns as they also goose/duck hunt and pheasant hunt in between pulling out monster bucks...

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I don't know about N.D. but the areas we hunt deer in eastern S.D. are not really suited for bow hunting since they are mostly plains with wooded creek bottoms. I know what your thinking "hunt the creek bottoms", nope, the deer actually prefer to stay in the grass when traveling. As you progress west into the black hills it would be more suitable for bow. The Dakota's are the best kept secret for deer in N.A.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply guys. I think I am going to research it some
more and hopefully make it out there this fall, sounds promising!

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Originally posted by TSS Caddis
I know what your thinking "hunt the creek bottoms", nope, the deer actually prefer to stay in the grass when traveling.
I've noticed exactly the same thing in Michigan, whenever big grass/weed fields are present. They've learned that danger lurks in the woods.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I have a friend who went on a guided hunt there 2 years ago. They really had an awesome time, saw lots of deer, and miss some very huge bucks. They went early in the year, and hunted edges of large crop fields. They ended up taking a nice mule deer buck.

Dan

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
We go to ND almost every year duck hunting in October. Never deer hunted, but there are whitetail, mulies, and antelope where we go. I hit a mule deer (or rather it hit me) two years ago out there...does that count? We see quite a few deer when we're out there, but it's very different than Michigan....at least in the south central portion of the state where we go. All high plains and potholes. Very few trees and hardly anything that would qualify as "woods" here. Creek bottoms and draws would be the way to hunt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the additional info. I was thinking of going with an
outfitter at least the first time out as I haven't hunted this type of
terrain before and am not sure where to begin. I predominantly
hunt Michigan & Illinois and wanted to try somewhere different. sounds like ND has potential from what everyone is saying. Grouse hunter, if you get a chance I would appreciate any info. on outfitters/guides that you have. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have been hunting ND the past couple of years started for ducks and upland but we were seeing so many large bucks that the outfitter talked us into bow hunting white tails this year along with ducks and upland. I was fortunate enough to arrow a nice 10 point and my buddy got a 6 point. The hunting out there is nothing like Mi. you are primarily hunting small woodlots surrounded by miles of grain fields. This year I did not see 1 other hunter other than our group. If you would like more info on our outfitter feel free to pm me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts