Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of guys are using "noodle" rods for the ice. And with a larger fish the pole will bend over about 180 degrees.:SHOCKED: Is there an advantage to this?:confused:
Sly :evil:

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Are you talking about a regular full length rod Sly?

I've seen a few guys use the full size rods as a means of "sneaking up" on some holes. It's usually guys who like to hole hop a lot. As for the weak backbone on those rods, I'm not sure of the purpose, though I wouldn't want a super stiff rod for panfish.

I have seen guys use longer rods for trout/salmon and I've heard it's so they can get the tip of the rod under the ice to prevent line fraying against the edge of the ice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have a noodle rod end section off a 10ft rod that i broke. its about 3ft long tip to end been using it for about 15 years for ice fishing. i love it got 4 lb ultra thin line and spinning real on it. i have pulled in pike, trout, catfish, walleye and buckets full of perch and panfish with it works great.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
The longer the rod the less stress put on your line, this is very good with a bigger fish on, it allows the rod to play the fish and not the line and can help tire a fish out faster...that being said, I'm used to short rods in both soft and hard water so I like them.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I like to use longer rods. They take up the lack a lot quicker, and I think I am more sucessful with hook-sets. IMO.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinkin' rods in the 24" range.
I guess it depends if you fish with a bobber,line watch or feel for the bite through the rod.
I use a spring bobber so I have no need for a super sensitive tip.:SHOCKED:
What I really want is.........................To catch fish like Harry!!!!:help:
Sly:evilsmile

1 - 6 of 6 Posts