Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get non-lead jigs online?

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should be aware that lead isn't good for the environment (poisons fish and water) I have switched to all steel sinkers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
RichP said:
why not?

all things being equal and if you can afford the extra expense why not be friendly to the environment...
And i would like to add that the extra expense is very little in most cases

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alex-v said:
Canadian National Parks outlaw all lead fishing tackle. Also, I'm starting to eliminate all lead from my own gear for reasons already mentioned.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Because lead is not the problem. It is the lead oxides, of which there are several types, that are the problem. Lead paint is a problem because of the lead oxides that were used in its manufacture. I believe that the military, and especially the navy, still uses lead oxide paints on its ships.

Lead sinkers and jigs, if left on the bottom of the lakes or rivers, rarely, if ever, form a tiny amount of lead oxide. Any amount that they do form is still less than the amount of lead oxides that forms naturally from lead already present in the waterways.

Lead bullets will lay in and on the ground without forming lead oxides. I have already posted several web sites that are the results of govt and university studies on the lead left in gun range backstops.

If lead were that bad for people, animals, and the environment then we would see the workers at automotive battery factories dieing of lead poisoning at fantastic rates. What about all the veterans of the wars who survived to a ripe old age and did not have lead poisoning even though bullets and bullet fragments were left in them by surgeons?

Lead oxides and not lead itself.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
some people disagree with your take on the situation Alex, including some conservation groups. You think their positions are just based on false propaganda?

In Michigan, another 15-year study examined 186 dead loons and revealed that lead poisoning — primarily from lead jigs — was the number one cause of death at 24% (44/186) of overall mortality.

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/oea/reduce/sinkers.cfm
Personally, my take on the situation from politicians that want to single out fishermen with banning lead tackle legislation is that they should focus more on corporate polluters who I'm sure are exponentially more responsible for environmental damage. This is small potatoes.

That said, like I previously stated, all things being equal, what does it hurt to switch over to something else if it's not cost-prohibitive for you...

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
RichP said:
some people disagree with your take on the situation Alex, including some conservation groups. You think their positions are just based on false propaganda?
Lead poisoning, as we know it, is caused by "lead oxide" something which the news media (for the most part) is not concerned with telling us. Lead sinkers or shot pellets, if left alone in the water or on land do not build up a surface layer of lead oxides in a large enough amount to be a problem.

Lead, if ingested, will oxidize and then we have lead oxides and that is the problem. The lead itself is inert and not the problem that the news media has made it out to be.

RichP said:
Personally, my take on the situation from politicians that want to single out fishermen with banning lead tackle legislation is that they should focus more on corporate polluters who I'm sure are exponentially more responsible for environmental damage. This is small potatoes.
How very true. But, until the average citizen makes a valid attempt to get up off the thumb he or she has stuck up the hole in their rear end it will not happen. The govt, believe it or not, only reacts when the average person finally becomes concerned enough to learn what is happening in the real world.

How about the small aircraft industry which continues to use leaded (oxides, again) aviation fuel. We have a ban on this stuff for our vehicles but the small planes used at many local airports fly over our homes every day spewing exhaust out their unmuffled tailpipes.

RichP said:
That said, like I previously stated, all things being equal, what does it hurt to switch over to something else if it's not cost-prohibitive for you...
Because to many people are just letting their knowledge base be decided by what they hear in a 10 second sound bite on the local news.

Over 30 years ago my first exposure to the banning of lead sinkers or lead for fishing came from the propaganda of the anti-fishing groups in Europe and especially in England. In this country the number one group pushing for a ban on lead in bullets is the anti-gun crowd. The largest group of people pushing for a ban on the use of lead bullets for hunting are also connected to the anti-hunting organizations.

So, all things being equal, Rich, to give in to the false or incomplete information being pushed and supported by these anti groups is very expensive. It becomes even more expensive when we do not attempt to even understand what the argument is really about. Do we really want them to continue to dictate what is environmentally sound??

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alex-v said:
Because lead is not the problem. It is the lead oxides,
I never have really looked into exactly the sequence of events that it takes, or how likely those events are, to make lead toxic. I do know that if I'm caught with lead tackle in my possession in a Canadian National Park I'll be fined. I also believe that more restrictive regulations are inevitable. So now that I'm looking for new jigs; I'm buying lead-free.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
yoopertoo said:
I do know that if I'm caught with lead tackle in my possession in a Canadian National Park I'll be fined. I also believe that more restrictive regulations are inevitable.
I can understand why you are concerned with fishing in Canada. And, yes, it probably is inevitable but I am going to go down fighting.

The anti-gun crowd tried to use the lead poisoning argument to shut down the Island Lake Range a couple of years ago. After some additional research I was able to turn over enough references to the pro gun side that they were able to shut down the lead issue in the courts. This left the anti crowd with the noise issue which is a different story. All I did was slow down the lead issue at ranges and show a couple of people where the real problem lies.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alex-v said:
After some additional research I was able to turn over enough references to the pro gun side that they were able to shut down the lead issue in the courts.
Good!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ninja said:
Why buy on-line.....check your local tackle shop. :D
You know, I tried. I was able to get steel splitshot and sinkers, and brass bullet weights. I have not been able to find non-lead jigs.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I hate to say it but alex is right on the ball with the oxide truth.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
The question I have is, if a loon ingests a steel jig does it have less of a chance of dying than had it swallowed a lead jig, the same chance, or more of a chance?

If the answer is more of a chance then it's an issue.

Certainly not a "the sky is falling" type of a issue, but an issue nonetheless.

But I can understand if some people don't want to react to this situation because they don't want to give an inch to antis. That does make sense.

·
Registered
58 Posts
alex-v said:
Lead sinkers and jigs, if left on the bottom of the lakes or rivers, rarely, if ever, form a tiny amount of lead oxide. Any amount that they do form is still less than the amount of lead oxides that forms naturally from lead already present in the waterways.
Alex, I understand that the amount of lead oxide created is very small if any, but you made my point above. If there is even a small amount of lead oxide forming from my lead sinker there is a problem.

Go up to the Manistee river in the spring and watch all the people fishing shoulder to shoulder. If all of them are using lead sinkers it is a guarantee that you will get snagged and lose your sinker and/or bait on structure.

If everyone that fishes uses lead then that small amount of lead oxide you mentioned above becomes multiplied millions of times over several years. Think about the lakes and rivers you love to fish today in 100 years when your grandkids have a family and are taking their sons and daughters to waters that have poisoned fish.

There is no problem today, however, that attitude is what destroyed many of the pristine acres this great country had to offer 300 years ago. Stop the issue now before it becomes a serious problem for future generations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts