Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. Thanks for letting me use your forum to solicit advice about the sport of hunting and fishing in your beautiful State. My husband will be celebrating a milestone birthday in early December. He grew up in Michigan, but now lives in Florida with me. I would like to surprise him with an amazing hunting trip in his home state. He's hunted bear in Canada, and he's tried small game hunting (wild boar, deer) here in Florida - the Green Swamp area and southern Georgia. He's been on several game fish expeditions in Canada, Brazil (Amazon) and Michigan. He's a "jack of all trades" when it comes to the hunt - rifle, shotgun, archery, etc. His dream is to participate in a big elk hunt in 2006 (Montana), and hunt Alaska and Africa in his lifetime. For now, I would love to hear your opinions about outfitters, lodges, guided hunts that I could inquire about in Michigan. If I could send him there this December / January that would be great, but I realize that your season is winding down. Any suggestions for the Spring?

Thanks again for allowing me an opportunity to reach out to the Michigan Sportsman community.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Chances are if he is from Michigan, he probably knows a good place to hunt without the additional cost of a guide. I know of very few of them in Michigan unless they are in a penned area, which isn't much of a hunt. If he wants a big rack, then the southern tier of counties are the best bet but he very well might need a guide just to get permission to hunt. Very little public land there. The UP still has some big bucks in places and lots and lots of public hunting land. Not counting all the State and Federal land up there, you'll also find thousands of acres of commercial forest land which is open to hunting.

Hope you find something and welcome to the forum. You're where it is warm and winter is about to begin in Michigan. Some heavy snows are expected this week.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There are Bobcat guides and also he may enjoy a snowshoe rabbit hunt or two.

Several people have Ice houses they rent for fishing as well.

A weekend of palying in the outdoors can be as fun as it is varied.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts