Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in my truck today watching everyone fishing at metro when I see something way out and I mean WAY out it’s just this little dark dot on the horizon. So I get my binoculars and look at it’s an ice shanty hooked up to a quad. And this guy is driving straight out. I see him get off and can barely see him because he’s miles out. But I can make this guy running out on foot and then running back getting on the quad and going even further out!!!! For all I know he was working his way to the shipping channel. In all the years of working on the lake I have NEVER seen anyone that far out I want to nominate him for a special award.

· Registered
505 Posts
Yea.....but unfortunately he never tells us what radio channel hes on to give us the ice reports. Kinda like them idiots in the news helicopters that show guys floating on a sheet of ice but never show it in relation to the shore line for fear of us knowing what area is dangerous....and thereby depriving them of their next news story....thanks for nothing channel 2......

· Registered
5,345 Posts
Thus the inauguration of the first MS.com Darwin Award for reckless and just plain stupid behavior while engaged in the pursuit of fish or game.

May the inductee into our hallowed Hall of Shame lower his head in both shame and the fear that someone actually recognizes him.:rolleyes:

· Banned
1,819 Posts
Well at least he was stopping ,and checking the ice as he went. At least It wasn't total recklessness. How far out is the farthest you can get on the American side. I know at Mitchells I have been out over 7 miles last year.

· Registered
781 Posts
Perhaps he knows more about the lake than I do. Perhaps he's lived on the lake a long time, and is comfortable with his abilities to explore. He has more courage than I do. I would NOT randomly call anyone "stupid".

· Banned
17,502 Posts
The last I heard was due to the ice jams in the North Channel which was blocking the ferry, an icebreaking tug was supposed to come from Cleveland. Now even a dumb westsider such as myself could figure out that he was going to have to come through Lake St. Clair to get there. Now it hasn't been cold enough in the last 5-6 days to make that much ice to make the shipping channel safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.