Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to apply? Anything that might get screwd up thru the application or is it straight forward? I did this 5 years ago, just dont remember exactly what was done. No time limit or restriction to the number of licenses?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just Buy it online before you go, no application proccess

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
There was one year when the state legislature set a limit on the number of non-resident licenses...like '01 or '02 maybe? It was in response to complaints from the city people there that there were too many non-residents shooting all of "their" ducks. The locals out in farm country were po'd, because they were opposed to such a limit. But some legislators got it passed, but it was kind of ridiculous anyway because if I recall they set the number at the number of NR licenses sold the year before. In other words, if a NR wanted one, it was set high enough that you basically could get it. This also started a feud between country people and city people, which still goes on today. Country folks around where we hunt do not take kindly to ND city dwellers coming around hunting. In fact they treat us better!

Yeah the on-line ND system is excellent! And they even allow you to modify your dates after you've purchased it, which I had to do last year.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just Buy it online before you go, no application proccess
Yep.

Just be mindful of where and when you will be hunting when you purchase your license. They have the state broken into three sections and depending on which license you buy you may be limited to a certain area. FWIW I typically buy the license that covers the entire state for two weeks. It does cost $40 more than the zone-restricted license.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Yep.

Just be mindful of where and when you will be hunting when you purchase your license. They have the state broken into three sections and depending on which license you buy you may be limited to a certain area. FWIW I typically buy the license that covers the entire state for two weeks. It does cost $40 more than the zone-restricted license.
just a note on that. if you buy the zone license, you cannot hunt both of your allowable 2 weeks in the same zone. this is advantage of buying the statewide license.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
just a note on that. if you buy the zone license, you cannot hunt both of your allowable 2 weeks in the same zone. this is advantage of buying the statewide license.
Yeah very good point. I thought about that too after I read lastflight's post. Like you, I was out there 2 different weeks last year, and had to buy the statewide license because of that.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do they require our hunter certification number?

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Do they require our hunter certification number?
yes, i just use my drivers license number as i have no idea where my card is.

i got checked last saturday out there and the co asked if that number was michigans version of hunters safety card...i was like "yep". lol.

one of these days i'll sit in on another course just get that card as i imagine i'll be venturing to canada soon and they probably gonna require it.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Kid, I think you can just request a new card instead of taking the class again......unless you're that old! ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
i tried, they said they had no record of it. I took it at the wolverine gun club in 1979...lol. before computers...so was not suprised when they couldn't find record of it.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts

i got checked last saturday out there and the co asked if that number was michigans version of hunters safety card...i was like "yep". lol.

one of these days i'll sit in on another course just get that card as i imagine i'll be venturing to canada soon and they probably gonna require it.
Same thing here with hunter safety card. I didnt know my number while in nodak but knew my card was in my junk dresser downstairs. I asked how many digits to the person working and our crew made up numbers. Taking my card next time.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,213 Posts

SK, I completed my Hunters Safety Course at Wolverine Junior Rifle Club in St. Clair Shores in 1973. I was able to contact the MDNR several years ago and obtain a duplicate Hunters Safety Card.

Is that the same club where you took your Hunters Safety?

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
SK, I completed my Hunters Safety Course at Wolverine Junior Rifle Club in St. Clair Shores in 1973. I was able to contact the MDNR several years ago and obtain a duplicate Hunters Safety Card.

Is that the same club where you took your Hunters Safety?
yah, same club. i tried thru MDNR and they said no record of it. here's the thing. the first time i requested they gave me a copy. then about 10 years later i requested another and they had no record. sucks. my fault for losing my card...i'll just sit thru it again with someone youth, not a biggie. good mentor opportunity. :)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I took it in like 1970, and I had to get a copy from the DNR...long before computers. They found it and sent one to me within a month. Not sure why they told you they couldn't find you?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Kid, they should have it. You can also sign an affidavit stating you took the course. Or you can do it online.

·
Registered
499 Posts
yah, same club. i tried thru MDNR and they said no record of it. here's the thing. the first time i requested they gave me a copy. then about 10 years later i requested another and they had no record. sucks. my fault for losing my card...i'll just sit thru it again with someone youth, not a biggie. good mentor opportunity. :)

I'm almost pos my hunters safety number is my soc sec #. Thats what I have used for ND and missouri and have had no issues.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I took it in like 1970, and I had to get a copy from the DNR...long before computers. They found it and sent one to me within a month. Not sure why they told you they couldn't find you?
Used to be a phone number you could call and deal with an automated service. I did this a few years ago and got a replacement card. Let me see if I can dig up the number...

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you hunt only zone 3 though I'm pretty sure you can hunt that zone both weeks. I'm not sure why zones 1 and 2 are considered to be so special.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
If you hunt only zone 3 though I'm pretty sure you can hunt that zone both weeks. I'm not sure why zones 1 and 2 are considered to be so special.
its just to keep pressure off from non-residents. want 14 days in a consecutive spot/zone, pay more. good money grab by nodak really.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts