Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hunting 150 acres that is managed very well. Alot of good food plots with a bunch of does and a few really nice bucks. We have 10 cameras on the food plots and other spots on the property. All of our pictures are at nite and when we hunt the plots we see no deer. We are now hunting off the plots and are only seeing a deer here and there. Any suggestions on seeing deer, and is this common to not see deer when they have all this great food.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
When the weather gets cold, and the plots "sweeten", the deer will move in during the day. Does and young ones first, bucks will follow.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Try hunting closer to the staging areas but without spooking them (wind direction is important), thats the key.. The staging areas are usually really thick cover by their bedding areas. The good staging areas around here consist of thick popal thickets, which allows them to browse the buds without having to leave the heavy cover to eat.. They will hang there until it gets dark out.. I caught a small buck the other day sneaking from one thicket to another but he wasnt a shooter yet..

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
The deer will be in there, big time, about two weeks after you stop hunting them. And not until then.

Probably not the answer you wanted.;)

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
Cameras are fun and all, but wow, 10 on 150 acres. I think I might consider shutting them down for a while. It takes a lot of intrusion to check 10 cameras on a consistent basis. We have 3 on 200 acres and I'm checking them at 2 week intervals max and considering pulling them.

Also, you may want to hold off hunting the property, or areas of it, for a couple weeks. The deer will react positively to the LACK of activity.

My plan, if I still had a buck tag, was to wait till the second week of ML season and hunt each of our 3 food plots in turn 2-3 days apart in the evening only. Very low pressure, only on perfect conditions. The last couple times I've done this I saw mature bucks on each sit. The key IMO is to turn the pressure off completely for as long as possible.

Good luck.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Cameras are fun and all, but wow, 10 on 150 acres. I think I might consider shutting them down for a while. It takes a lot of intrusion to check 10 cameras on a consistent basis. We have 3 on 200 acres and I'm checking them at 2 week intervals max and considering pulling them.

Also, you may want to hold off hunting the property, or areas of it, for a couple weeks. The deer will react positively to the LACK of activity.

My plan, if I still had a buck tag, was to wait till the second week of ML season and hunt each of our 3 food plots in turn 2-3 days apart in the evening only. Very low pressure, only on perfect conditions. The last couple times I've done this I saw mature bucks on each sit. The key IMO is to turn the pressure off completely for as long as possible.

Good luck.
I agree completely. If you are not seeing deer in an area where there are lots of deer, human pressure is the highest probability cause.

The cameras are OK if you are going to put them in place and wait until after the end of the season to check them, or at the very least, just switch cards if you happen to be passing one on the way to a stand, using scent-reduction approaches. Touching them with your hands is the kiss of death for deer activity. But checking cameras and hunting too much is going to shut down deer activity.

·
Premium Member
14,425 Posts
The deer will be in there, big time, about two weeks after you stop hunting them. And not until then.

Probably not the answer you wanted.;)
"BINGO" That would be one week where I hunt and I'm including all stand locations, not just plot stands. Two to three days is pushin it for me although I do it all the time!!!! ( still using luck as a factor to tag the big one)

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I agree with too much pressure. Only check your cameras if you are passing them on the way to your stands. make sure you are getting in and out of your stand undetected and don't hunt any of them too often. Sounds like the deer are there but they have you patterned. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts