Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure why the used (no way to be sure where he had the cross-hairs zeroed) Excalibur Vortex I got was hitting 3-4" high at 20 yards and dead on at 30 yards. I also wasn't overly excited with the groups that I was getting. While admittedly I'm not a great shot, I expected even at 30 yards for my groups to be tighter than the 2 1/2" (guesstimate) that it was. Something wasn't right, and I needed to know why (type A personality, but type B tendencies and time structure...)

I did some research on the good 'ole interwebs and I think I discovered my problem.

When I bought the bow I took it to my local bow shop (not going to mention names, I still believe that they're a stand-up bunch of guys) and the "Crossbow Expert" there said that the bolts the guy sold me (again, used bow) with the x-bow looked like they were all wrong. They each had the remnants of a bar-code sticker on them, which led us both to believe that they were probably bought at wal-mart, and made me wonder how true they would fly with that, albeit little, weight throwing the rotation of the bolt off. He also said that the flat nocks on the bolts weren't what was sold with the Excalibur. He said that Excalibur recommended half-moon nocks, so given this information I bought a half-dozen carbon express bolts that had both types of nocks with them.

After my research on the interwebs with groups that were high but "not bad" using the half moon nocks, I experimented with flat nocks on the new bolts. I had limited time to experiment (after playing in the bubbles my little girl's bath time was coming soon, and I had to help with that) and found that at 20 yards the half moon nocks were still hitting high, but I was getting groups that were 1 1/2" from the outside of the shafts, two were touching and the third wasn't far off. Then I tried the flat nocks and the POI was dead on, but of the three bolts I tried I had one flier.

I've got to do more test firing, but could someone tell me if flat nocks are what these excaliburs come with?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I wasn't sure why the used (no way to be sure where he had the cross-hairs zeroed) Excalibur Vortex I got was hitting 3-4" high at 20 yards and dead on at 30 yards. I also wasn't overly excited with the groups that I was getting. While admittedly I'm not a great shot, I expected even at 30 yards for my groups to be tighter than the 2 1/2" (guesstimate) that it was. Something wasn't right, and I needed to know why (type A personality, but type B tendencies and time structure...)

I did some research on the good 'ole interwebs and I think I discovered my problem.

When I bought the bow I took it to my local bow shop (not going to mention names, I still believe that they're a stand-up bunch of guys) and the "Crossbow Expert" there said that the bolts the guy sold me (again, used bow) with the x-bow looked like they were all wrong. They each had the remnants of a bar-code sticker on them, which led us both to believe that they were probably bought at wal-mart, and made me wonder how true they would fly with that, albeit little, weight throwing the rotation of the bolt off. He also said that the flat nocks on the bolts weren't what was sold with the Excalibur. He said that Excalibur recommended half-moon nocks, so given this information I bought a half-dozen carbon express bolts that had both types of nocks with them.

After my research on the interwebs with groups that were high but "not bad" using the half moon nocks, I experimented with flat nocks on the new bolts. I had limited time to experiment (after playing in the bubbles my little girl's bath time was coming soon, and I had to help with that) and found that at 20 yards the half moon nocks were still hitting high, but I was getting groups that were 1 1/2" from the outside of the shafts, two were touching and the third wasn't far off. Then I tried the flat nocks and the POI was dead on, but of the three bolts I tried I had one flier.

I've got to do more test firing, but could someone tell me if flat nocks are what these excaliburs come with?
This is from their web site MIGHT WANT TO TELL THAT TO THE BOW SHOP ALSO

My Excalibur arrows came without nocks on them. Are they missing?

The bow is designed to use a flat butt ended arrow. Your options are either to use a plug type insert which cannot be used to withdraw the arrow from a target in which it has sunk too far, or a CAP insert which can.

Moon nocks are a no-no since they are totally without purpose and can direct the string under the arrow if you don't align them correctly.

Being of the mind that purpose is of more importance than appearance, we continue to use CAP inserts. The reason the rear inserts are threaded is so our T handle arrow puller can be threaded into the end of the arrow to remove it from targets.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great response MIRUSS. You may have reinstated some of my otherwise fallen confidence in the type of people on this site...

I have the plug type...this close to season do I dare change my bolt set-up too much? I'm pretty sure (going to practice some more this weekend) that I'm death to deer within 30 yards, and my goal is to extend that to about 50 yards (or more, just have to see how much my wife will let me out of the house to shoot) This is my first year with a crossbow, and I know I've got a good one. I'm using pretty bone stock Carbon Express bolts (20" I believe) and 100 grain practice tips. I'd like to go to 125 grain next year, but I've got three different full sets of 100 grain from my days as a vertical shooter, and thought that I would be just as deadly with those, plus, momma isn't happy when I spend money "unnecessarily"--her words, not mine. Plus, I think a string stopper will be in my future for this bow, they sure are loud.

Any reason to change my set-up, or should I run with what I've got for this year?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Nocks shouldn't be that bad i would change them. Like there web site said the bolt could jump the string then you might mess up your bow . Not to be a smart ass but if you can't get sited in in a couple hrs something is wrong with you. Hell compounds aren't that hard to site in once you have the right draw length set up for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts