Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we started motor before goin out to the lake , but no water was coming out. checked the hose leading to the top side of motor to find it was packed w/ weeds. have no idea what did it. cleaned hose ,put it back on ,still no water. went fishin any way ,but just used elec motor. I now wonder if it is packed all the way to the impeller.How can I clear any blockage I may have without tearing engine down. when I took the 12 -15 in rubber hose off, it was so packed , I could not blow it out with compressor.worked fine the last time out, but it has not been out for 3 weeks. I was considering pulling impellor, pump, and try to snake something through the rest from the top, but do not want to cause damage to anything else. Does this make sense to try this? Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is the motor stored outdoors in the off season? Mud dabbers are attracted to the water exhaust hole for some reason and have been known to plug it closed, check that with a wire as well.

Buster boy

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Sounds like a inboard outboard, and my guess is you sucked the weeds up on your last boat ride. I would tear down the water cooling system and clean everything out, I would not try to start this boat untill you have cleaned the entire cooling system and know that is is free from all dirt and weeds. There is usually a screen cover on the water intake if you have an open cooling system. perhaps this screen has fallen off??
Finding out how the weeds got sucked up would be tops on my list too.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use earmuffs when running dry. So I checked hose intake area, and could see a mall piece of small rubber, took grill cover off, poked around a little more, and more pieces fell out ,I expect the impeller. would have taken it down today, but it is over 100deg. after impeller is changed, I will cklean out the area between the 2. agree? good plan? thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts