Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I tried something new today I think I saw on this board, and ended up with the best chicken I have EVER had!

I melted butter in a bowl, added some garlic salt and some pepper. Then I injected it all over into a bird. A dash of Oregano on the outside, and it was good to go. I do not have a smoker, but put some wet hickory chips in some foil and put them on the coals in the grill. Got the grill up to about 400 deg and put the bird on. I turned in once about halfway thru. It was about a 5# bird and I got 175 deg after about 1hr 45 min. I took it off, wrapped it in foil and let sit on cookie sheet for about 20 minutes. Went thru two packages of chips as the first ones burned up in about 45 minutes. I used my drumstick and wing holder upside down, and 4 shishkebob skewers at various angles to hod the bird up - kinda like a redneck rotisserie! I am a red meat man, but I gotta tell you that chicken was stupid good!!!

Kroger had the birds on sale - buy one ($12), and get one free. So 9# of chicken for about $6. One of my best dinners ever.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Looks good, but I am wondering how you got 9 lbs of chicken out of a 5 lb bird. How much did you inject into it anyways!:yikes:

Math has always been tough!:D

I think ya meant 5 lbs of chicken for 6 bucks, not too bad, we get roasters for .78-.98 a lb around here.

nice lookin yard bird!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts