Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Cabelas today and noticed the bait shelves were getting pretty empty. Talked to an employee there, the guy told me that Cabelas is not going to restock the shelves. They said in light of the bait ban on the LP. Corporate told them not to restock the shelves. Wether or not this is true I do not know. But it is what I was told.

I only asked because I was curious why the shelves were getting bare.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sunday, I went up to Tawas for the afternoon. We stopped in to small, local store to grab a few beverages and I noticed the large selection of what folks used to call "deer bait". I asked the guy his opinion of the ban. He stated that it's not illegal for him to sell it, nor has he seen a decline in sales of it. He also voiced concern over lost revenue that this thing could cause. This should prove to be an interesting year.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was obvious that Cabelas was selling there fare share of "bait". Maybe for a big store like Cabelas it does not hurt them not selling it. Unlike small places like the one you stopped in at.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well it was obvious that Cabelas was selling there fare share of "bait". Maybe for a big store like Cabelas it does not hurt them not selling it. Unlike small places like the one you stopped in at.
I don't have that big of a problem of them leaving their current inventory on the shelves as it was something completely out of their control and I doubt they can return it to the supplier, so what are they to do w/ it? Even if every hunter in MI followed the law they are close enough to the southern border of the state that I think it would be ok for them to sell stuff like mineral licks. Its more the pallets upon pallets of beets, corn, and apples that are beginning to show up at gas stations all over the NLP that has me puzzled.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
I don't have that big of a problem of them leaving their current inventory on the shelves as it was something completely out of their control and I doubt they can return it to the supplier, so what are they to do w/ it? Even if every hunter in MI followed the law they are close enough to the southern border of the state that I think it would be ok for them to sell stuff like mineral licks. Its more the pallets upon pallets of beets, corn, and apples that are beginning to show up at gas stations all over the NLP that has me puzzled.

A lot of those places purchased lot sized amounts of bait on a contract. Purchased the contract several months ago and its theirs now.....

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those pallets are usually sold to hunters heading farther north. I always see deer feed at the two gas stations I stop at on my way accross the bridge. One near Grayling and the other is right before the bridge. Doesn't matter what time of year it is.

I am not saying anything about them selling it as it is legal to do. I was just stating that I was told they will not be restocking it through the season like they usually do. They said once it is sold out that is it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've been hunting in the Rogers City area for year's and even after the big T.B. scare people were baiting all the time. No one can stop it where I hunt and I see plenty of it for sale. There's just to much land for the D.N.R to patrol . I have 160 acre's and I can bait three or four spot's with out any one being the wiser. If you want to stop it you have to stop selling it period.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have always been opposed to useless laws- a ban on baiting that does little to deter the banned practice is a useless law, unless it contains measures to increase it's effectiveness.

Cocaine, meth, heroin.....all illegal to POSSESS or SELL. And the penalty is significant. Before you say what good has it done, people still use and sell it, consider what it would be like if there was only a $90 fine for such acts.

Agree or not with the ban, it's here and it should make sense or take it off the books. A law with no teeth makes little sense and causes more harm than good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts