Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Went to take a shower this morning...surprise no hot water! Last night GF took a shower no problems, Today after I left she used the water and said the same no hot water, a wile later she used it again and there was hot water now back to square one no hot water? I checked the breaker, the reset on the heater it’s self and they were all good, no leaks, and the pressure valve doesn’t work, I cannot open it. Any ideas?? It’s an electric water heater. I paid the bill too so it’s not that LOL

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Went to take a shower this morning...surprise no hot water! Last night GF took a shower no problems, Today after I left she used the water and said the same no hot water, a wile later she used it again and there was hot water now back to square one no hot water? I checked the breaker, the reset on the heater it’s self and they were all good, no leaks, and the pressure valve doesn’t work, I cannot open it. Any ideas?? It’s an electric water heater. I paid the bill too so it’s not that LOL
Possible bad heating element or temperature switch. Need to find out if you are getting both legs of power to your water heater first (2 legs of 115v ea). If in fact you do, you need to check the thermostat to see if you have closed contacts (a call for energizing the heating elements). If in fact you do the next thing is checking to see if you have power to the elements. Regardless of anything else, you need to have your pressure relief valve fixed. That can be very dangerous if your tank builds up too much pressure.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I'll go along with what michihunter said. But I have a question. How old is the tank? If it's more than eight or nine years old, I'd just replace it. You may be able to get it working but it's already on borrowed time.

John

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Michihunter I'll check it out. gotta find my volt meter

I am unsure of its age, its prolly pretty old just like everything else in my house. I still have appliacnes that are that nasty olive green color :yikes::help:

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Thanks Michihunter I'll check it out. gotta find my volt meter

I am unsure of its age, its prolly pretty old just like everything else in my house. I still have appliacnes that are that nasty olive green color :yikes::help:
If you have any questions feel free to calll me. I'll send you my # in a PM.;)

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Sounds like the t-stat is bad luckly all hardware stores carry the parts good luck and yes replace the t&p good luck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just double checking my slef......thanks for the help.

If I have power to the unit and I have power to the t-stat but nothing after the t-stat and the tanks cold that would = bad t-stat...right?

So if I have power to the unit and power to the t-stat and power after the t-stat but no hot water that would = bad heating elements.....right?

I THINK I will be able to narrow it down if what said above is right....right?LOL

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
just double checking my slef......thanks for the help.

If I have power to the unit and I have power to the t-stat but nothing after the t-stat and the tanks cold that would = bad t-stat...right?

So if I have power to the unit and power to the t-stat and power after the t-stat but no hot water that would = bad heating elements.....right?

I THINK I will be able to narrow it down if what said above is right....right?LOL
Yes. You have a good understanding of it. Of course there could be other issues such as a bad connection somewhere but for the most part what you say is absolutely right.

·
Registered
26,627 Posts
It's almost winter, save yourself some trouble down the road and get a new one. They're reasonably priced and it's something you don't want to do in the winter.

I just pulled the point on my well last week. Fitting rusted through. The only thing I have to worry about now is which way the wind is blowing and what stand I'll be sitting :D

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT JUMPER THE T-STAT WITHOUT REPLACING THE T&P VALVE!!! That could be tragic!!

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GF_Wrm-Ns0I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GF_Wrm-Ns0I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

·
Registered
797 Posts
^^^ I'm stopping on the way home and picking up a new valve, my bedroom sits over the tank:yikes:.

When I arrived home yesterday there was hot water and there still is:dizzy: I was talking with my neighbor and he stated that I may have interruptible service for my hot water? What exactly is interruptible service? Could that be a cause of the problem? Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I've never heard of interruptibile service for your hot water, only for your AC. II''d imagine its possible but highly unlikely.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen interruptible service on a water heater either. But even if there was, interruptible service is only supposed to be able to shut the power off for short periods up to maybe twenty to thirty minutes during peak demand hours. Even if they shut the power off for a couple hours at a time several times a day that wouldn't be enough to leave you without hot water. It would take quite a while for the water in the tank to become even luke warm if you weren't using it.

My grandmothers house used to have an electric water heater that I replaced years ago. There was a strange setup there in which the water heater had its own box off of the main service panel. There were two switches for the heater. If I'm not mistaken in the normal mode it worked and provided hot water. But if there was going to be a high demand for hot water you would throw the second switch and it would turn on the upper element and supply faster recovery time on the tank. To my knowledge, it was never turned on. :)

John

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My heater has its own box off to the side of the main, only one lever but 2 screw style fuses. This is very strange, yesterday AM the water was ICE cold, when I got home it was normal. I even turned the water on in the bathtub to run out the hot water to make sure it would reheat, which it did.

·
Registered
26,627 Posts
220 volts

Either your thermostat is messing up or your element is about gone. I bet on the latter. City water or well?

I'll stick with my suggestion of just getting a new one, if you have a hint that one is 10+ years old. Heck even if it's only 5 years. Piece of mind is a nice thing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have well water, the only date I found on the unit is 1992 it didn't say built or anything, it was located on the white sticker that had wattage info. I should just bite the bullet and go get a new one, my luck it will be winter time and I'll have to do it then. Well guys Thanks again for all the information.

·
Registered
26,627 Posts
INTHERIVER, you could shut the power off and drain it. Take special note of the last of the water to come out, you may even want to shine a light in to look at the sediment in the bottom. You could also remove the elements to see what they looked like. I don't know what the resistance should be on the elements but that could be checked also.

More food for thought.

Best of luck

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
INTHERIVER, you could shut the power off and drain it. Take special note of the last of the water to come out, you may even want to shine a light in to look at the sediment in the bottom. You could also remove the elements to see what they looked like. I don't know what the resistance should be on the elements but that could be checked also.

More food for thought.

Best of luck
Great points. Especially after finding out it's well water. Scaling is a killer on heating elements.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts