Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then why in the h___ are pulling that d___ thing?

On our way to the parent's cabin for the weekend. We were cruising along, laughing and talking while the kid was sleeping in the back seat. We hit a bump, and I bounced my head off the ceiling. I rubbed it said that hurt and laughed a little. The next thing that I knew, the wife is yelling DALE, DALE. I look up, and see the pop up camper no tail light's what so ever. I slam on the break's, swerve to the side of the road. I couldn't stop their because I had a suburban and a deisel behind me. I drove up the rd away's and stop, and got myself back together.

Not even 2wk's of owning my new truck, and almost total it, because some idiot doesn't know how to check his light's before the driveway. :mad: Granted, I should have been paying attention, but even if I was paying attention, you can't see tail light's when they don't work!!!

I'm sure this thread will get alot of people, but to bad. I you can't take 5min out of your traveling time to check all light's, then why pull something??????? I'm not sure about his truck tail light's because I couldn't see them.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Yeah that can be a problem but they might have been working when he left. I found out that one of my lights on my boat would vibrate and the bulb would come out. I switched to LED's so that won't be a problem anymore. Glad no one was hurt and I understand your frustration.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Takes me all of 2 seconds to check my lights before heading out itn the mornings....its easy when you hook up in the garage lol...

Just look in the mirror and try them out :)

Even in the afternoons when leaving the launch, I test my lights by turning on the headlights, and seeing if the side marker lights up

·
Registered
450 Posts
Did you have a car lengths distance for every ten miles per hour of traveling speed?
Did you make allowances for a problem of this type?

Your safety begins with you, not the other person with the cranial rectal inversion.

Depend on yourself befor you depend on others. You know what is best for you.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I check my lights when i hook up and if it is a long trip other than the local lake I check them every time I stop. Between the wife and three kids that's a lot of checking. Bottom line though is you werent paying attenion. I'm not saying the other guy was faultless by any means. But had you been paying attentionyou probably would have noticed the guy in front of you slowing down

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
And the worst part is, if you would have hit the guy YOU would have gotten a ticket for "following too close to stop causing an accident." I see it all the time driving through Detroit.

A family driving along with no brake lights with kids in no car seats. I think they WANT to be hit just so they can sue you.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That sucks man. They definitely should make sure the lights work before going out. I drove one time for 2 weeks w/no brake lights (some ding-bat woman rear-ended me and a switch in my brakes blew up, so no brake lights until they got the part in :( ), but used my parking lights as if they were brake lights. Driving, lights off. Start to break, reach down and turn the parking lights on. Start going again, turn them off. You get the idea. Royal pain, but I didn't want anybody to hit me because of it. Hopefully the guy saw you and checked his lights at the next stop.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt he did Ruler, as they were pulling into a camp ground. I don't pull anything that often, but before I leave, everything is checked over. Then I do it again when ever I stop. It sure is amazing how many do not do that.

Labrat,

I was coming around a corner when it all happened. So yeah for a minute or so, there was plenty of room to stop.

Banditto,

You are correct, and it suck's. Even if I "was" paying attention and still rear ended him, I still would have received a ticket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts