Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this was the season from HELL, started out great for me though with all the pics and stuff, had a great time doing all that, then comes Friday morning and around 9:00 in the morning, I get the CO's coming to my blind to check things out, here they thought I was on state land and I was not, so they gave me a ticket for not stating to them right away I had a CCW and I was carring a pistol, now I've got to go to court sometime in October and face high fines, so far its up to $200 and it'll go higher I'm sure, they told me as they walked away "have a great hunt and good luck". WHATEVER................ I'm far from being rich, and I live like a lot of people paycheck to paycheck.................... well I sat the rest of the day and saw a sow and 2 cubs come in, that was cool, but I've sat the last 4 days and that's all I've seen and I've got 3 more days still, but I've got no idea how much my fine is going to be, and I'm sure I wont be able to afford to get a mount done if I get a bear, so I guess I'm calling it quits for this year, and I'll never do this again on my own, a lot of work for nothing, I'll go to the UP and go through a guide next time. Sounds a lot easier and probably cheaper in the long run.

I'm not pissed at the DNR, their just doing their job but they surely rained on my parade:(

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
That's a bummer.

At least you saw the sow and cubs.

That is the reson I went with a guide my first year. You wait 4-5 years between tags and with gas being what it is, for me, it is worth it to pay a guy a fair price to do the leg work for me and have a few places set up. Sure it isn't as cool as scouting and doing it all yourself, but when you are in your shoes right now, it sure is worth it..

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
(Quote): so they gave me a ticket for not stating to them right away I had a CCW and I was carring a pistol,

brohnson, that's lousy, sorry for your bad luck,

Thanks for sharing your story though, I did not know that was the law, but I can understand why they would want to know up front, I guess I better read up on the rules even though (I dont have a side arm.)

Jeff

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I totally forgot about saying, that plus I had a loaded rifle on my lap when they came up, I guess they had it in their mind that I was getting a ticket one way or another, and I'm going to sit all day Thursday, so hopefully I'll get something then, my wife keeps pushing me to get one, even though my feelings for hunting are shot now.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
them walking into your blind prolly left enough scent to scare off a good bear..
what do you have to do wear a sign around your neck if you are carrying with a ccw permit how stupid is that.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I get the CO's coming to my blind to check things out, here they thought I was on state land and I was not,
My guess is you had somebody report your bait pile, and reported it as being a "dirty bait" on stateland. And my guess is somebody has been snooping around your land/bait..ie more scent. Not to turn this into a co bashing thing, but I thought they needed some sort of "reason" to come onto private property. Bum rap on the ticket, curious on how they knew you had a ccw on you??

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they asked me if I did and I said yes and they asked if I was carrying and I said yes and I pionted to what pocket and they pulled it out and then he said I'm giving you a ticket for not telling us you had this on you, He's right by law if you've got a ccw you are to tell them right away but I already had a loaded rifle in my hands when they came up and telling them I had a ccw was not the first thing that came to my mind, so I've got to see a judge to see if he lets me keep my ccw or will through the ticket out or whatever, at this piont and time I dont care.

·
Registered
739 Posts
That's total B.S. They had no reason to be on your land and you were doing nothing wrong. You should've told them they were trespassing and to leave immediately. Things like this are why i loose respect for the DNR.

I hope you get your ticket completely dismissed and you get to keep your CCW.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
My guess is you had somebody report your bait pile, and reported it as being a "dirty bait" on stateland. And my guess is somebody has been snooping around your land/bait..ie more scent. Not to turn this into a co bashing thing, but I thought they needed some sort of "reason" to come onto private property.
I would imagine, someone called his bait site in to the DNR, maybe a tresspassing bird hunter or something.... That would be the "reason" to enter the property. Plus - IIRC, they don't need a reason to walk onto your property, just to open doors/enter buildings.

Regarding the letting LEO's know you are carrying, they stress that point pretty heavy in the class.

Like I said, bummer, I hope you have some luck on Thursday.:)

brohnson - What county were you hunting in?

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Wow. That sounds like some of my great luck. I feel for ya. I do not have a CCW, but could understand the shock of being approached in your blind might cause a momentary lapse of rational thinking.

I would definately try to state your case to the prosecutor. It may not get you anywhere, but it's worth a shot. I wouldn't plead guilty to that one.

Try to not let it ruin your hunt. That taxidermy bill will come long after you forget all about that mess.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would imagine, someone called his bait site in to the DNR, maybe a tresspassing bird hunter or something.... That would be the "reason" to enter the property. Plus - IIRC, they don't need a reason to walk onto your property, just to open doors/enter buildings.

Regarding the letting LEO's know you are carrying, they stress that point pretty heavy in the class.

I took my ccw class in june of 2008 and thats the first time I've ever been approached by the law, so it wasnt the first thing that came to my mind, hopefully the court will understand.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
i also have a CPL Concealed Pistol License... ccw... whatever... anyway I have been stopped several time and have always told them right away... and that is a must!!!

i could understand how you could forget in that situation because like you said you have a loaded rifle on your lap so you already have one gun.. but the law none the less... so that really sucks!

is there some law that says you cant have a loaded rifle? how you were saying it seemed like you couldnt have one? or were you just trying to get the point across that you didnt think about your pistol because you had the loaded rifle.... just wanted to make that clear for me and everyone else reading it.....

Keep your chin up and get it taken care of... nothing to change the past now....

with that said also keep your chin up on bear hunting man! I got down when i heard that bear shot not far from my stand at all... i could even hear that load moan... and i got REAL DOWN on myself... but my dad and uncle were there telling me to keep my head up and i still had a good hunt even though i didnt get anything... keep keeping on!!!

and yes is sounds like someone reported you for baiting or saw something fishy

hope you get your bear!... keep us posted if you go out again and sorry for your luck!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I thought when you are on your own private property you can carry even if you dont have a permit?

You may be correct. . .I am not up to date on pistol laws.

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- CL 1948, 750.227 ;-- Am. 1973, Act 206, Eff. Mar. 29, 1974 ;-- Am. 1986, Act 8, Eff. July 1, 1986
Constitutionality: The double jeopardy protection against multiple punishment for the same offense is a restriction on a court's ability to impose punishment in excess of that intended by the Legislature, not a limit on the Legislature's power to define crime and fix punishment. People v. Sturgis, 427 Mich. 392, 397 N.W.2d 783 (1986).

·
Registered
4 Posts
From the Michigan State Police website:
3. Do I need a concealed pistol permit to carry my pistols while walking through the woods near my cabin in Michigan? If not, are there any restrictions on how or where the gun is carried?
MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a pistol concealed or not if you are in your own home or on your own property. If you do not own the land, no license is needed to carry a pistol as long as it is exposed. However, should a person cover the pistol during inclement weather with a jacket or coat or get into a vehicle, the pistol would be concealed, and the carrier would place himself in jeopardy unless he possessed a concealed pistol permit. Per Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, a holster, in plain view, is not considered concealed. Department of Natural Resources regulations require a person to have a valid Michigan hunting license if in an area inhabited by wildlife, while in possession of a firearm.

·
Registered
136 Posts

They do need a reason to enter your property and look around, just keep your gate shut, I have a neighbor up north that beat a illegal bait pile, untagged doe and a couple other tickets because the CO's didn't have a search warrent, I don't know all the details just what he told me, but I knoe he beat it, it was too bad this guy is a real poaching piece of *h*t.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I realize they are just trying to do their job, but you wait 4-5 years in between tags and they can ruin your hunt just like that. Doesnt seem right to me.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry about the Law... Doesn't seem fair the way an average guy has to take it like that, lawyers aren't cheap but I would fight it.

Right now you need to keep your thoughts on that bear tag, that new mathews should beable to take down a bear (if not I know my Bowtech will, let ya use it. JK) Honestly Keep at it, You have bears its just a matter of time!

Good luck and hang in there!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sorry about the luck, But just my 2 cents I think that a dnr or police don't have to have a reason to issue a ticket. They can give you a ticket for picking your nose and as long as you pay it, its money for them. I'd fight it, and hope the judge is got his stuff together and knows what the law is.

good luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.